Chapter IX

A/N: Terri Amess’s picture was on the last chapter, BTW. Did you see her?  She looks  SO amazing. J ALL TIME LOW IN OUR COUNTRY ON AUGUST 25!!! <3

The side picture is how I imagined Therese would be. The photo's not mine, though. Okay. Updates, updates, more updates! Have fun reading, Hustlers. :)

“Why are you in here, Jack?” I spat out, venom full in my voice. This didn’t take Jack by surprise though. It was as if he knew this was going to happen, like he was prepared for it. “Trying to get in my private life again?” “Look,” Jack sighed, his hands digging deep in his pockets. “I don’t know what you mean by private life. I never tried to get in anything, okay? If you’re talking about this room, then I just found it out by accident. I didn’t mean to hurt you, okay? Just…” he took a deep breath and expelled them, his eyes closing. “Just please, listen to me.”

I don’t think Jack deserved my forgiveness after all of what happened. But I try to listen anyways, my feet walking towards him absent-mindedly. Jack sighs again, with relief this time, and tried to put on a tight smile. “Listen, okay? I don’t know why you’re so mad at me when all I did was go to this room. And I never even tried to find this room, I just did by accident.

 Ifever you’re seeing this as an invasion of privacy or something I could use against you… Well, I’m not like that, Terr. I’m sorry. And I don’t know why you’re so mad at me, and I know I’m not supposed to give a shit about it, but…” he suddenly stops himself, his eyes fluttering open, his gaze meeting mine. “But, I just can’t stop thinking about you.”

I could feel my mouth drop open, but a part of me didn’t care. I could feel my nerves acting so differently than before, and my cheeks started to feel warm.

Jack… was thinking about me…?

I purse my lips; the small feeling of anger suddenly welled up to my body.

No. He’s lying. He couldn’t be thinking of me. I don’t know what kind of sick joke he’s playing at. I don’t know why he thinks this kind of bullshit is helping him to get my guard down. I don’t know why he’s saying all this and actually think he could make me believe this was all true.

But then again, maybe I do.

“Why are you saying all of this, Jack?” I said, my lips were quivering and the words were coming out as barely a mutter. Jack’s gaze suddenly leaves me, now falling to the floor. Then, he shrugs, letting his shoulders fall back gracelessly. “I don’t know.” He admitted.

Seeing Jack like this right now took me by surprise. Maybe he was saying the truth. Maybe he really didn’t mean it. I bit back my lower lip as the memories of that day drove on to me – specifically on how I drove Jack away without even asking for an explanation.  Guilt suddenly seeped into me, and I found myself with my gaze on the floor as well.

“Well,” I mumbled, suddenly  feeling a bit shy. “I guess, I’m sorry too.”

From the corner of my eyes, I could see Jack’s head raised up to smile at me, and that unfamiliar feeling I had in my nerves came back, only stronger this time. It made me shiver, and my cheeks felt like they were burning. I continued to drop my gaze, putting my head down in case he notices. “Great. And I was kind of thinking, maybe we can start over? As friends?” I could see his outstretched arm as he reached in for mine. I raise my arm up, not completely sure why I was so quick to forgive him. He takes my hand and we shook on it, and Jack suddenly pulled me in for a hug. “I’m glad we’re okay, Terri.” He mumbles in my hair.

The smell of perfume and aftershave filled my nose and I smiled slightly. Being hugged is something Alex did to me a lot when we hung out, and I thought it was something normal, something friends do. But here, with Jack hugging me right now, it somewhat felt better. So much better, that a great wave of disappointment washed over me when he pulled back.