Chapter XVIII

"What the fuck? And you call yourself a doctor?" I can hear my dad scream at the poor, young-looking doctor, whose name I seem to have forgotten. I'm actually amazed at how the doctor could keep a calm, composed face; he's aware that my father's a centimeter close to punching him. He shakes his head, looking at the clipboard again. "No matter how many times we try, we can't reverse what will happen to her. I'm sorry Mr. Amess. But the results are positive, and unless Jesus decides to come down here again and fucking save everybody, then there's no way we could change the inevitable." 

"Bullshit." My father hissed as he turned towards me, grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the exit, his eyes were shining with tears that he desperately tried to hold back.

-x-

"Don't listen to them, Terri. You know you can make it through this." My dad's voice comes into my ears, barely an echo as we drive towards Dulaney High in his car. I just nodded, pretending I was listening. To be honest, I can't care anymore. When everything was getting worse, I knew that I couldn't be saved from my condition. And to be honest, I'm so relieved. They could take me all they want, and I'm fine with it. But one thing that I'm not fine at, and I may never be, was Jack kissing me in front of hundreds of people yesterday. 

I don't know what I'm feeling. It's so weird, I want to be angry, but I can't. I definitely hated the attention I got over the internet, how mad the people were about what happened, and I hated how they can't just leave my inbox and cellphone alone. But Jack's lips on mine, I - I don't know. It just felt right.

"Terri?" 

My father's voice made me leap back, and he chuckles even though there's worry in his eyes. "Go to school, baby. We're already here." he leaned in to kiss my forehead, something he's never done for a very long time. I couldn't help but pull a small smile as I nodded. "Okay. I'm off." 

The moment I got out of the car, I could already feel the stares and whispers being directed towards me. God. Can't they learn to get over it? It's the first time that everyone is suddenly looking at me, and I'm not comfortable with it one bit. As dad's car drove off, I felt a pair of strong hands push me to the ground from behind. I caught my books in time, hugging them tight as I fell down, mud splattering all over my jeans. Laughter erupted from behind me, the familiarity of it making my eyes roll. I tried to wipe off the disgusting gunk off my hands before turning around to face Therese. 

"Bet you wanted the attention, freak." she said simply, enough for me to want to tear her face into shreds. "What do you want, Therese?" I snapped as I noticed that the people passing by were starting to laugh at me. She shrugs, more to my irritation, as a cruel smirk starts forming her lips. "Congratulations on kissing Jack. How does it feel like to be living up to your title, slut?" she taunts. I raised an eyebrow at her, showing her how much her words meant to me. Oddly enough, she wasn't as easily insulted as she was before. Instead, her smirk grows wider as she played with the locks of her hair. She drops them carelessly, the smirk never leaving her lips. "I've got a surprise for you this lunch. Want to come check it out?" she invited me. "No thanks. I got more people worth wasting my time with." I countered as I quickly turned around, not wanting to get involved with any more of her shit. I could hear her laugh icily behind my back as she murmurs, "It's not like you have a choice anyway." 

Suddenly, a chill creeps its way into my spine and I run, my heart beating loudly and quickly in my chest at her small threat. Nausea filled inside me as I reached into the locker, suddenly having the feeling that I'd want to vomit. It's pathetic to be scared over something so small, but I know she meant what she said by the tone of her voice and I - I'm scared. I don't feel safe. 

I need Jack. 

"Terri?" 

I quickly turned around to see Jack standing right behind me like he'd been summoned. He's face is contorted in worry. "Are you alright? You look pale." he observed, and I can't help but breathe out a sigh of relief as I nod. "I'm fine." I lied, and I know Jack can see through my lies, I can see the disbelief in his face, but for some reason, he drops the subject. "You're next class is Biology, right? Come on. I'll walk you there." he offered. I wanted to say no, I wanted to remind him what he did to me and what's happening, but his face seemed so natural - like yesterday never happened - and I really need the security his presence is giving me. I nod, a little too excitedly, a blush warming my cheeks as he grabs a hold of my hand. 

The walk to my class was painfully short, and I can't help but feel disappointed as he releases my hand. We stared into each other, the door behind me just inches away, but I choose to look at him as his deep brown eyes melts into mine. The bell rings and I jumped up in surprise, both of us waking up to reality. 

"I, uh, I gotta go." Jack murmured as he smiled at me weakly, his hands buried in his pockets. Without another word, he turns around and slowly walks away. And it's painful to see him disappear, even for a few minutes, but a memory flashes back to me, something that made my legs shake and my lips quiver. 

"The results are positive, and unless Jesus decides to come down here again and fucking save anybody, there's no way we could change the inevitable." 

"Jack." His head whipped up and he turned around at the call of his name. I swallowed what I felt was a lump forming into my throat as I stared at him, and suddenly my eyes are beginning to sting as I realized how short the time left is going to be and how painful it is to lose him. He walks slowly back to me, his eyebrows furrowed in concern as we both soon realize how close I was to crying. "Hey, what's wrong?" he asked, his voice soft. 

"Please," I reply, and I could barely recognize my own words, as if it wasn't me who was talking. "Don't ever fall in love with me."

-x-

I sigh in relief as the bell has rung, signalling the end of Trigonometry. I felt a smile play on my lips, knowing that next period would be lunch. I stand up and fixed my things, and instantly, I could feel eyes locking into me, making me nervous. Oh God. Can't they just get over the whole Jack thing? I push my things carelessly into my backpack, slinging them over as I sailed across the room. Upon entering the hallways, more eyes lock into me, and I could hear whispers and a faint laughter in the background. What's going on? 

"Terri." I turned around and see Chelsie, her expression grim. "I know  the play didn't turn out the way you wanted it to be. I'm sorry." I cut her smoothly, a hint of irritation in my voice. Chelsie's face hardened as she shook her head. "I don't care about that, Terri. There's something you need to know." I blinked at her dumbfoundedly, completely cofused on what she was talking about. She quickly grabs my hand and drags me around to where the announcement and posters for school activities were posted. People were gathered around it, instantly whispering and walking away upon seeing me. Chelsie points to a blue poster, and I could immediately feel my heart sink.

It was a picture of me. 

Only, my body was cut out and replaced with a really skanky figure of a woman with big breasts which were barely held up by a thin, skimpy bikini. Above my head were cut outs of letters that said "Terri Amess: The greatest slut of Dulaney High! Watch as she whores around with numerous students from Alex Gaskarth to Jack Barakat!". Besides my face was a picture of Jack kissing me during the play.

Nausea quickly creeps into my system, making me want to throw up. Tears began flooding my eyes, stinging me. I cough as I could feel a large lump into my throat, choking and suffocating me to no end. What did I do to deserve this? A warm pair of hands wrap themselves into my arms and I look up to see Chelsie's stern expression. "Follow me." 

The noise in the cafeteria was unusual, as the whole four corners were only filled with one annoyingly familiar voice. We watched as Therese stood in the middle table of the cafeteria, showing the blue poster of me off to everyone, who were laughing at it in enjoyment. "I used to sit beside her during English class and she fucking smells like boy's perfume everytime. Can you believe it?" she said, and the whole student body erupted in laughter and agreement. It was all too much for me to bear. 

Finally unable to deal with tolerating this, I walked past the crowds who started wolfwhistling and calling me names until I was standing in front of Therese, who had a  cocky smirk painted on her lips. "If you don't stop advertising those fucking posters you made, I will." I threatened her. She mocked fear, making other people laugh. "Sorry to burst your bubble, honey. But it's not me who did these posters." 

Bullshit.

"Yeah?" I growled. "Who did?" 

And in that precise moment, I felt my eyes widen as Alex appeared from the crowd and walked towards Therese, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. 

"I did."