Chapter 3

Anna was tired of staring at a cluttered desk. Words hadn't poured out of her in days. She felt like a failure for not being able to produce a single page.

There was a knock at the door. When Anna opened the door, she was surprised. 

"Mara, what are you doing here?"

"Wow, thanks for the welcome. I can see your happy to see me."

"Well, of course I'm happy to see you. I just didn't know you'd be by tonight."

"I had a feeling that you have been cooped up in here for a week writing the next best great American novel, so I thought I would rescue you from yourself."

"Gee, thanks."

"You're welcome. But seriously, we have to get you out of here. Go change into the sexiest dress you have. I'm taking you dancing."

"Dancing?" Anna looked at Mara in horror. "You know I can't dance."

"Who said you have to dance? I just want you to socialize. A drink or two might do you good, too."

"Mara, I really don't think tonight is the best night. I really need to get some work done."

"I'm not taking no for an answer, Anna. So off you go! I'll even do your makeup for you."

Mara gave Anna a cheeky smile. She knew there was no way out of this.

Thirty minutes later, Anna was dressed and ready to go.

"Wow, girl! You look great."

"Hardly," Anna replied. She reluctantly grabbed her purse and they were on their way.

When they arrived, Anna wrinkled her nose at the smell of smoke. Dance clubs were not typically part of her social scene.

It was only eleven o'clock, but plenty of people were already out on the dance floor.

She followed Mara to the back of the club near the pool tables.

"Here, honey, have a drink. You look like you need it," Mara handed her a beer.

"Mara, I don't think this was such a good idea."

"Anna, honey, you need to loosen up. You need a little fun in your life."

Mara was right. She did need fun in her life. What's one drink?

Five drinks later, Anna felt mellow. She couldn't remember relaxing like this, ever. It was an amazing feeling. She and Mara hadn't stopped laughing for the past twenty minutes.

The laughter died in Anna's throat when she caught sight of the guy from the beach.

He was standing by one of the pool tables. She hadn't seen him walk by, so she wasn't sure how long he'd been there. He was just as mouth-watering now as he was at the beach.

"What's wrong, Anna?" Mara asked.

"Nothing," Anna croaked.

"Anna, I know you better than that."

Mara caught sight of what Anna had been looking at. "Whoa, Anna, he's hot."

"Yeah, if you like that kind of guy."

"Oh, I like." The interest in Mara's voice struck a chord of jealousy inside Anna. She immediately felt guilty for it.

"Do you know him?" Mara asked.

"No, I just saw him on the beach the other day."

Mara's eyebrows lifted and she grinned. "Well, then. Let's go introduce ourselves." She grabbed Anna's hand to pull her forward, but Anna refused to be moved.

"Let's not," Anna said.

"Oh, come on, Anna. Be adventurous," Mara replied.

"I can be adventurous." It hurt that Mara thought she wasn't. "Fine. Let's go."

"That's the spirit," Mara exclaimed.

Anna's palms were sweating as they walked toward him.

What would she say?

How should she act?

Her mind was racing.

Mara looked calm and collected as she led the way. How Anna envied her in that moment.