Chapter 23

Anna met Mara as she was stepping out of the club. Anna was sure Mara had come looking for her.

"Where is that dipshit? I can't believe he thought he could get away with that crap."

"Mara, calm down, everything is fine."

"What are you talking about, Anna? He just disrespected you in a major way."

"I am going home with him, Mara."

"You what? Are you insane? This guy is trouble, Anna. Can't you see that he's not good enough for you?"

"You're right, Mara. I'm not good enough for her."

Both Anna and Mara were surprised he was there. They hadn't heard him approach.

Anna knew this was going to get ugly real fast if she didn't do some fast talking. She knew Mara was mad, and that could be dangerous.

"Look, Mara, I'm going with him. I want you to not be mad at me, okay?"

"What the hell are you talking about, Anna? I'm not mad at YOU. I am mad at this douchebag."

"Mara..."

"Alright, alright. But if you break her heart, I'm coming after you, you got that?"

"Got it. You are a good friend to her Mara."

"Damn right. Anna call me when you get home."

"I promise to keep you in the loop, Mara."

Anna leaned close to give Mara a hug and whispered, "Thanks, Mara. I love you for understanding."

When Anna stepped back, she took in the look on Mara's face. Mara looked concerned and worried for Anna. This isn't the Mara that she let others see.

Anna immediately felt guilty for worrying her friend, but she had to do this.

Anna looked over at Derek and smiled. Derek held out his hand for her, and Anna took it.

"You ready," Derek asked.

"Yeah."

The moment Anna sat in the passenger seat of his car, she wondered if her decision was the right one.

The ride to his place was short, thank goodness.

Anna was happy to get out of the car and away from him. The tension in that car on the ride over would make anyone uneasy.

Anna allowed him to walk her into the house. When Derek shut the door behind her, Anna knew she was too far gone to walk out.

They both gave each other awkward glances. Anna had hoped Derek would break the silence, but he didn't. Instead, he leaned back against the wall with his hands in his pocket. He looked like a man who had all the time in the world.

Even as nervous as Anna was, she felt the chemistry between them. Her eyes were level with Derek's collarbone, and something about it made her want to reach up and touch it. Without thinking, Anna brought her hand up to lightly touch the heartbeat at his throat.

Anna felt more than heard Derek's indrawn breath. It surprised Anna and she drew her hand back down to her side.

"Anna..."

"Yes?"

"Let me kiss you. I know I don't deserve you, but..."