Chapter 8

Derek didn't think she did angry very well. It was actually kind of cute.

As she sipped her coffee and ate her egg crossaint, he took a moment to watch her. She ate with careful consideration, her brows were knitted together in concentration, and her legs were crossed in a laid back fashion. He found her to be a mixture of contradictions.

"What are you staring at?" She hadn't even looked up from her crossaint when she asked him.

"Why you, of course," he answered.

"I figured that out, genius. Why are you staring at me?"

"No reason. Are you always this suspicious?"

"Are you always this annoying?" Anna retorted.

"Touché," Derek conceded.

"So are you going to stick around after brunch? I really am sick, ya know. I should probably rest."

"Then you need someone to take care of you."

Had that really come out of his mouth just now?

He watched as the disbelief entered her eyes. That's when Derek realized she really was suspicious of him. He wasn't sure why, but it was another mystery he'd like to uncover.

"I think I'll be fine on my own," Anna said.

"How about a movie and then I'll go?"

"You promise to leave?"

"If you want me to, then yes."

She looked relieved. Anna got up from the table and went over to her entertainment center.

"What kind of movies are you interested in?"

"How about you pick one, and I'll tell you if I like it or not?"

"Alright. How about a comedy?"

"Sounds good to me."

Anna popped the movie into the DVD player.

Derek had already made himself comfortable on the couch. When she came over and sat on the far end, he wasn't surprised at all.

Derek decided to enjoy the show. He decided he could use the company, even if the company wasn't pleased with his presence.

Thanks so much for all the feedback, everyone!

How do you think Anna and Derek's relationship will play out?

P.S. There will be a sequel with Mara in it :)