Chapter 13

Anna rushed to Mara's after her walk with Derek. Her heart was still beating in her chest.

Had she really said yes to being his friend?

"Mara, open up," Anna said.

Anna knocked on the door with her fist again and again, and just when she was about to give up, Anna heard a noise from inside the apartment.

"Just a minute, Anna," Mara called out.

The door opened and a sexy blonde goddess stepped out quickly. He looked embarrassed to have been caught unaware.

"Call me," Mara yelled.

Mara was wearing a red silk teddy and a short silky red housecoat.

"Mara, you should be ashamed," Anna whispered.

"Of what?" Mara asked.

"Of the many guys that come in and out of here. You have a revolving door that is used often."

"Well, aren't you in a mood? How about we stop analyzing my life and you tell me why you interrupted some great sex, alright?"

"I came to talk to you about Derek."

"Oh, so that's why you are so moody."

"I am not.."

"Why are you stressing over him, anyway? I thought you told him you didn't want to see him."

"I kind of ran into him today."

"Yeah? So?"

"We took a walk on the beach together and it was actually kind of nice. He said he wanted to be friends, and I said yes."

Anna bit her bottom lip and waited for Mara to say something but she never did.

"Well?" Anna asked.

"Well, I'm trying to process which I believe first; you walking with him on the beach or you saying yes to friendship."

"Mara, come on. Don't joke around right now," Anna pleaded.

"Alright, alright. Why did you say yes?"

"I don't know. I guess I saw a different side to him today. He wasn't a complete jerk, anyway. He had seemed sincere."

"You know how I feel about the guy, but if you want to be his friend, then who am I to stop you?"

"You don't think I made the wrong decision, then?"

"Why? Do you think you made the wrong decision?"

"Maybe. I just don't understand his motives."

"Anna, not this again. Any man would be lucky to have you," Mara said.

"Well, he made it clear today that he wasn't attracted to me, so I am pretty sure I'm not his type."

"Why? What did he say? Do I need to punch this guy in the nuts? Because I totally will."

"Thanks? And no, I don't think violence is necessary."

"Well, just tell me if it is, because I would."

"Oh, I believe you," Anna said.

"Well, I guess I better get home."

"No way is that happening. Not after you ruined my plans for the day. How about a girl's night?" Mara asked.

"How about yes? I can never say no to girl's night."

Anna was excited to spend the evening with Mara. She needed to relax, especially after the events of this morning.

Anna couldn't get the words he had uttered out of her head, though.

I want to be your friend, not marry you.

Anna felt like any man would feel the same way towards her. She was the intellectual, not the graceful and sexy woman that men wanted.

Anna couldn't help but be excited, though. A gorgeous guy wanted her, even if it was only as a friend.