Chapter 21

"He did what," Mara exclaimed.

"I know. It's crazy, right," Anna asked.

"No, not crazy, it is unexpected, though."

"I don't know what I'm gonna do, Mara. I won't know what to say when I see him again. That is, if I see him again. What if he is just playing with my emotions for his own entertainment?"

"Whoa, slow down, girl. What makes you think a guy like that doesn't want you? You've got the looks and the personality, now you just need the confidence."

"Mara, he is leaving at the end of the summer. This is temporary for him."

"So have fun while it lasts, then. Stop overthinking this. A guy with a body like his is worth being a little reckless."

"I don't know, Mara. It's not like I'm experienced at this type of thing. In fact, I have zero experience."

"Honey, just show off those legs and flash a pretty smile at him. He'll fall at your feet. Besides, you may not be experienced, but he is."

"That's what scares me. How do I compete with all the women he's had? This could go wrong on so many levels."

"How about when you run into a problem, just think of what I would do, and then do it. I'll be the devil on your shoulder."

Anna couldn't help but laugh. Mara was such a good friend to her. She made any situation sound so simple and easy.

"Mara, how do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Make life so fun and interesting all the time? I envy you for it."

"I never knew you were the jealous type, Anna. I'm liking it," Mara said with a wink.

"I'll try to take your advice and be a little more adventurous, but I can't promise anything."

"I guess that will have to do. Now let's stop with the heavy conversation and go have some fun. This guy asked me to come to a party tonight. Want to come with?"

"I don't know. You and parties don't go well together."

"What are you talking about? I am the party. Come on, let's get out and have some fun."

"Well, I can't let you go alone. I guess I should keep you out of trouble."

"Damn right."

"Just let me put my hair up and put a little make up on first."

"You aren't going to change?"

"Why? Are you saying there is something wrong with my outfit?"

"Well, you are dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, Anna. You look like you are going to the grocery store instead of a party."

"When I want your fashion advice, I'll ask for it, ok? I happen to like my jeans and t-shirt."

"Yeah, yeah...get going so we aren't late."

"I didn't know you could be late for your kinds of parties."

"Don't get cheeky with me, Anna. We both know who will win that battle."

"Oh, you mean me?"

"In your dreams, girly," Mara said, throwing a pillow in my direction.

"Alright, I'm ready. Let's get going."

"About time," Mara said.

They walked arm and arm to Mara's car. The sand beneath Anna's feet and the sun in her eyes. The sounds of the waves pushing all her anxieties from her mind.

Her conversation with Mara had lightened her mood considerably, and now Anna was ready for a night of fun with her bestie.