Chapter 7

Anna woke up to a red nose and watery eyes. She needed to call Derek and cancel their lunch date. She looked at her recent call list on her phone to get his number. As the phone rang, she felt regret. He'd probably not want to see her again. Ever.

"Can't wait to see me, can you?"

"I woke up sick this morning. I called to tell you I can't go to lunch with you."

Derek's legs swung off the coffee table, and he sat forward.

"Are you standing me up, Anna?"

"Get over yourself, Derek. I woke up sick."

"Then, I'll just have to bring lunch to you." A thrill shot through her. He did want to see her again.

"Alright, if you don't mind getting sick."

"I'll be alright. See you soon."

"But, Derek..." She didn't have a chance to finish. He had already hung up on her. She hoped he didn't mean he'd be here right away.

"Surely not...," she mumbled to herself.

She decided she would crawl back into bed for a couple of hours. She could use the sleep.

She woke to a knock on the door. She looked at the alarm clock on her bedside table. It was only 10 o'clock.

Who could that be?

Then she remembered.

Anna shot out of bed and looked for clothes to throw on, but it was no use. She took her house coat down off the back of the door and put it on.

"Anna, are you going to open the door?" He sounded cranky.

Anna stopped before her dresser mirror and pinched her cheeks to put some colour in them.

She ran through the living room and stopped short of the door.

When Anna opened the door, he almost laughed. She looked like a red nosed reindeer that had been hung over from the night before.

"Bad night?" Derek's lips twitched a bit.

"What are you doing here?"

"I brought breakfast."

He held up two coffees and a bag.

"What happened to lunch?"

"Have you never heard of brunch? Now are you going to let me in or not?"

Anna grabbed the bag out of his hand and headed for the kitchen table.

"You're welcome."