Chapter 12

The wind swept Anna's hair away from her face, and Anna's cheeks were red from the harsh wind. She wasn't beautiful, but she wasnt unappealing. He didn't know what she was, but she wasn't his usual type.

Derek had always been attracted to the graceful, dainty blondes. The kind of girl you could flaunt at a business dinner or a social gathering. He never took them seriously. Not until Becca. She had been his downfall.

"So, Anna, where are we heading?" Derek asked.

Derek didn't want to think of Becca now. Anna seemed like an interesting woman, so he would concentrate on her.

"Didn't I already answer this question?" Anna retorted.

"Are you always this frustrating?"

"No, only with you."

She sounded sincere. Was there a different side to Anna? The thought of her not being herself with him was unsettling.

"And why is that?" Derek asked.

"You just rub me the wrong way, that's all."

"So now I'm the problem?"

"Well, didn't you imply the last time we were together that I may become a problem? That was very rude, by the way," Anna said.

"What are you talking about now?"

"Nothing. Just forget I said anything."

"Look, Anna, can we start over? I'd like to become friends."

"Why do you want that?"

Derek couldn't help but notice the surprise in her voice.

"Well, you seem like a smart person and I enjoy conversing with you. Is that enough of a reason?" Derek asked.

"Is this a joke?"

"Why would you even ask that? I'm being completely serious right now."

"You are the handsome egocentric jerk, while I am the recluse who writes romance novels. Or did that escape your notice?"

"Really? You sound like a high schooler right now. And besides, who cares, anyway? I want to be your friend, not marry you."

"Right. Well, I'm glad we got that out of the way."

Anna looked hurt. He was a douche.

Look, I just meant that...," Derek started.

"I know what you meant, and the answer is yes," Anna interrupted.

"Yes what?"

"Yes, I'll be your friend."

"Well, if you insist."

His laugh could be heard over the crashing waves. Anna's brown eyes flared and she looked furious, but he didn't care. He was glad she had said yes. He could use a friend right now.