Chapter Three

As I took another sip of the wine, the doorbell rang, shaking me out my trip down the memory lane, I cursed, debating on whether to answer it or not. I hadn't been home for five minutes and someone was at the door. The knocking became louder. I wasn't up to any late night visitors, but I suspected I knew who it might be. I seemed to have trouble getting up from the sofa, I giggled as I realised I had drunk the whole bottle, and it had been, possibly, more than five minutes since I arrived home. But that was okay I determined, I was allowed to let go once in a while right? I turned to face the door and proceeded to stub my toe into the coffee table.

"Oh...shhh..ugar!" I clutched my toe as I fell back on the sofa. Good one Kate. 

I heard a muffled voice calling my from the door followed by frantic banging. Groaning in pain and annoyance as I recognised the voice. My suspicions held true. Hobbling over, I popped on my sunglasses that laid on the hallway stand next to the door and unwillingly switched on the lights. I had my hand on the doorknob, I could feel it being attempted to open against the lock.

"Kate, open up, please!"

I swung open the door and stumbled slightly from the unexpected weight of the visitor pushing the door open forcefully. I did my best to give my visitor the 'You are in deep shit boyfriend' look. This failed miserably with my eyes hidden behind the sunglasses. I probably looked like a tight lipped fish with wide black eyes.

Kate plus wine equals epic fail.

"Are you alright?" he  looked over me concerned, taking me into his arms. I buried my head in his chest.  It wasn't all as comfortable as I hoped, then I recalled, the sunglasses were digging into my forehead. I took the sunglasses off and threw them carelessly onto the hallway stand as I resumed the hug. All my previous fears of our relationship washed away as I basked in his attention.

"Kate?" Brad prompted, waiting for the answer to his previous question. 

"Nothing a good night sleep won't fix" I smiled sadly, remembering why I was mad with him in the first place. 

"You're a bad liar you know." he smirked as he entered my apartment, not quite letting go of me and guided me to the lounge.

"I am not, I stubbed my toe trying to get to the door" I replied stubbornly and pointed at my now red toe.

"I'm not talking about that." Brad made himself comfortable on the sofa against the armrest and kicked off his shoes. He patted the sofa cushion for me to sit down next to him.

Getting comfortable are we? I glared at him. You must be feeling awfully confident that I won't kick you out the door in the next two minutes.

I stood my ground behind the sofa. I wanted to be mad at him for lavishing his attention on Ginny and in love with him because he was here with me, and Ginny wasn't. Brad sighed, leaning over the couch and grabbing my arm, he pulled me firmly towards him as I protested and hoisted me over the sofa liked I weighed nothing. I sulked, crossing my arms and got comfortable against the armrest on the other end of the lounge. Brad made no move to bring me closer to him. 

"I know you were at the club Kate."

"No, I wasn't. I told you, I didn't feel well."

"Again, I will tell you, you're a bad liar."

"Prove it."

"Alright," he chuckled, "For a start, you're all dressed up, gorgeously I might add..."

"That means nothing." I retaliated. I could have worn this outfit to work. Might have been a little dressy, but I could have toned it down with a few other accessories.