Chapter Twenty

Handing over my credit card to the checkout assistant was painful enough. The shopping went without a further hitch. I now had enough basic outfits until I could get more money. I was going to be glad to be rid of  Angela's clothes. It felt pretty uncomfortable wearing someone else's clothes. Wearing these shorts riding up my bum was just about the end of me. Especially since I still hadn't found out who she was. Why was she no longer there? And why was Sam so touchy about Angela? I ducked into the loos and popped on a new skirt. I sighed in satisfaction. It felt good to in a skirt again.

I went to the phone shop and got a pre-paid phone. Just something on the cheap so I could make a few calls. I picked up a cheap little Nokia that just sent text and made calls. I couldn't believe these things still existed. I missed surfing the internet. Sam's house was just about tech free as you could get. To top off no television or computer, there were no phones and it was on tank water only, Showers had to be quick. Which immediately made me feel guilty about how long I showered the first time here. I hoped I hadn't affected the water supply too much.  Everything ran on solar power and gas. It wasn't too bad. I could picture myself getting used to enjoying nature on his porch, listening to the birds. A picnic blanket and a book out on the lawn...Don't forget snakes.

Maybe I'd enjoy nature from the lounge room window.

I sat down in another cafe with a new coffee in hand and tried my hardest to remember my parents home number. I sighed. I stared at my phone, willing the numbers to come to my head. This was terrible. My parents drilled it in my growing up to remember my home address and phone number. and all I could remember was where I used to lived. I was failing them.

I could tell you how to get to my parents place, but not the street number. I sighed. They wouldn't be missing me that much anyway. I hadn't heard from them since they boarded for a long Mediterranean cruise. They deserved it, having spent so long saving up for it. This was their moment to life their life. They didn't need their daughter calling them for help. No, I would sort this out on my own. I was a grown up now. Time to act like one. Finishing my coffee I loaded up the car with my shopping bags and closed the door when something caught my attention.

Lizzie's Hair Salon.

In thick fire truck red cursive lettering. If I was going to make a new me, I needed a new hair cut to go with it. I twirled the end of my long brown hair that was up in a ponytail. I hadn't cut it much since high school. It was always long, perfect for putting in big bouncy curls when I went out. which I rarely did. It just seemed so much easier to keep it in a ponytail. Could I do it?

I locked the car and walked into the salon.

"Hi there hun, what can I do for you today?" A lady in her mid forties smiled at me with her neon pink lipstick. I almost cringed. I wasn't sure she was ideal to cut my hair. I took a deep breath. It was time for a change. A new me.

"I'd like a hair cut please."

***

I walked out of the salon shocked, Lizzie, the neon pink lipstick lady, Was thrilled to lop off all my hair. "Girls these days are too scared to let their hair be any shorter than their shoulders!" she'd complained. I walked out with a short spikey hair do and bangs to match. i'd also come out with a number of hair products to which I couldn't seem to find a way to say no to it all. it felt strange not having my hair down my back. I felt even more exposed than before. my hair was my security blanket. now it was gone, It felt like people were staring at me as I walked down the street. I missed my long hair. I didn't have anything for my fingers to twist or play with anymore. in one way I was excited, it was a different look, in another, I felt I'd made a huge mistake. Hair grows back. slowly though.