Chapter Twelve

You think I'd have learnt my lesson after the bouncer incident, I was now sitting outside in my car, after all that kerfuffle, I learnt from the hotel manager who stepped in that it was against policy to bribe hotel staff, secondly, there was no booking for Brad Evans, Or Kate Morrison, and thirdly, I was not welcome back in after my tirade. I might have lashed out at them for incompetent services and losing a booking.

This weekend was not starting off well, I had been sitting in my car trying to get comfortable as I watched the clock on the dashboard clock over to eight p.m. It was getting unusually chilly and my boyfriend was no where to be seen. I wandered back over to the pay phone to place another call.  

"Come on Brad, where are you?" I muttered into the phone. This was becoming a common occurrence recently, me calling, him never answering. I tapped my foot impatiently as the call rang out. Voicemail kicked in, I hung up. I was so mad, I wanted to leave a nasty message on the machine, but it could possibly ruin this whole proposal, so I had to reign the anger in.

I hung up the phone and made another call, this time to his apartment. No success, Where could he be? Could he have gotten hurt along the way?

Oh my gosh, what if he crashed or something? I could see it now, he was gravely injured and desperately trying to convince the paramedic to lend him his mobile to call me.

Or maybe no one had found him yet. The thought of that made my heart skip a few beats.

"Stop being so overdramatic." I scolded myself.

But he could be hurt, lying on the side of the road! remember how many cars you passed on the way here? Yea, very few!

No, He's just running late, he warned me about this. He said he'd be here as soon as he could.

I hit my steering wheel in frustration. I didn't know what to do, I could wait it out a bit longer or go for a drive back up the road, maybe i'd get reception up there once i'm out of the valley of the caves.

Resolved, I jumped into my car I had to go find him. driving back out the arch I began the slow ascent to the top of the winding road. My nerves were now frazzled, what if he was really hurt? and no one had found him? my hands began to shake on the wheel. Control yourself Kate, it will be okay. My phone beeped. a few bars turned up and  the phone beeped through, with several missed called and a voicemail had come through. I hastily pulled over and checked my voicemail. Brad's voice crackled through the low reception.

"Hey Kate...I've been trying to call....Hopefully you get this...I come baring bad news. I am not.... I can't make it... Have....Ginny here...love by the way. ..home...Listen...hotel...can't check in....really am sorry Kate, I know it's not what you wanted to hear, I'll make it up to you, I promise. Call me when you can...."

I barely got though the end of the message before I burst into tears, I didn't need to hear the whole message to get what he was saying.

Ginny had won.