Chapter Twenty Four

I was tapping my foot nervously in the police station waiting room. I pulled the blanket around me closer. My clothes were still damp, but at last stopped dripping all over the place.

We'd been here a few hours now. and when I meant we, I meant me and Brad. He wouldn't bloody leave. I'd gone to the counter to enquire about an AVO against him just so he'd leave. But the lovely lady at the counter said unless he did something to threaten my life or have me in fear there was nothing they could do.

Great. So I was stuck with the ex while I waited for my boyfriend. They were still grilling him, despite I'd already given my statement. Why hadn't they let him go yet?

"Kate, Darling, please, Come back home with me." I looked at him incredulously. Why hadn't this idiot given up? Did Ginny leave him? That would serve him right.

"No Brad. You. I. Over. How much clearer do I need to be?"

"I don't understand. I thought we were happy." he reached over and took my hand into his. I attempted to pull it back, but he held on tightly.

"We were. Unless you decided to stay with Ginny instead of me. I mean, seriously. What kind of guy just sends his girlfriend off on what was supposed to be a romantic weekend away under the disguise of dumping her via voicemail. Real smooth Brad. But you lost a lot of brownie points to the point you're in the negative zone. I'd need to be pretty goddamn desperate to crawl back to you. Now. Please. Leave me alone. Go back to Ginny and just let me move on." I ranted. I slumped back into my chair as he let go of my hand on the last sentence. He looked stunned. Unbelievable. How did this guy  think what he did was ok? it was uncool. In all circumstances it was a low, low move to make.

"I never left you for Ginny. Didn't you listen to the voicemail?'

"Of course I did. Why you think we're not together?" I was starting to be glad I ran my car off the road. I didn't want my children as stupid as him.

"No, did you really listen to it?"

"I told you, you buffoon, yes." He shook his head in frustration. he pulled out his phone from his back pocket. fiddling with some numbers.

"I've just called your voicemail service. Listen to the message."

"Why would I want to do that? Was not leaving high and dry enough of a kick for you?"

"Please, Kate, Just listen." I took the phone from his hand, pressing down on the button to hear the message.

The most recent message was from my parents, letting me know their holiday was wonderful, and they'd get in touch soon. I skipped over the rest of the message, a few more came though, with concerned friends calling in, Temp agency with some work... Brad left a few messages. I sighed, rolling my eyes, I continued to skip them all, And finally I reached the last message.

"Hey Kate darling, I've been trying to call for a while now. But it keeps saying you're out of range. Hopefully you get this message soon. I come baring bad news. I am not far, But the car is dead. Just waiting on roadside assistance. I can't make it tonight. Have to tow the car back to the shop Ginny here, she sends her love by the way. She's going to drive me back home. But I'll be there tomorrow morning first thing. I am so sorry darling. Listen, I've called the hotel, I've let them know I can't check in but you can for me. You should stay there, spoil yourself. All on me. I really am sorry Kate, I know it's not what you wanted to hear, I'll make it up to you, I promise. Call me when you can. Love you."

The message beeped to signalled the end of the call, asking me what I wanted to do next. I pressed the number to delete.

So, I had it all wrong. He never left me for Ginny. It was car troubles. I let out a mirthless laugh. How did I get that so wrong? If I just listened to the message when I had proper reception, the course of my future wouldn't have altered. Sure i'd have been upset, but I'd have also treated myself to a massage on Brad's dime. I shook my head and handed the phone back to Brad.