Chapter Eighteen

"Pay attention Kate!" I snapped back up from leaning on the counter and let out a involuntary yawn. "If this work is too tiring, Kate," Sam said dryly "Please, feel free to go." Sam had just walked past leading a group of climbers back from the course, I had only just put my arms down on the counter for a minute. I chose to ignore his jibe and hopped out from behind the counter, helping them remove their gear. I hopped out from behind the counter to help. I'd been here a few hours now, Petra thought I should not have started work today, but I had to. Once I discovered this morning that Sam had no tv or computer here I knew I would go crazy there. So I opted to get straight to work. All my muscles ached and groaned with every move I made. Beside, I intended to wear Sam down or annoy him. I swatted a fly away, these little pesky creatures were already wearing in my resolve to stay/ Cursing quietly and the sun burned strongly on my back. there was no wind which was making the air stifling. It was making me drowsy and sweat was slipping slowly down my face.

Petra was kind enough to lend me more clothes until I could get ahold of mine, but all the shirts were long sleeved and thick. I rolled them up at the sleeves, which helped, but not overly. And there were only one pair of shorts. the most uncomfortable shorts. I needed my clothes asap. I was surprised she was the same size as me. She seemed skinner. It was entirely possible that she used to be a little larger and these were what was left over. I'd explained to her that my clothes were in a car on it's way here. she accepted it without question. Which was true. they were in the car, Now I just needed to find my car and bring them over here.

I couldn't bring myself to admit I had ran my car off into a ditch, she already took pity on me and gave me a room and a job. she  and sam thought I was spoilt. I didn't need to prove to them I was incapable of sorting out my own problems. I needed to sort out my own problems without roping any more people into it.

I put the gear away when Sam stopped in front of me and gave me a once over. I felt uncomfortable with his questioning gaze.

"What?"

"Where did you get those clothes from?" He barked out at me.

"Petra" I began to feel nervous. Why on earth did he care where I got my clothes from? Unless they were his...? I returned the once over back to him, It made sense. the tops looked a bit manly. I wondered if what I was wearing fit him, they did seem a little too small on the side to fit his muscular frame. Maybe they were from his pre-muscular days? I tried to picture him without muslces and just kept coming up with him in a tadpole body with his head on it. The guy was probably born with those muscles. Then i remembered Angela. Were they hers? I'd forgotten to ask who she was.

"where are your clothes?"

"In transit." he grunted and walked off. I watched him walk over to Petra who was leading a group through a course from the ground. He made several hand gestures and she raised several back. I wished I could hear what was going on. A lot of pointing and arms going up in the air continued, but no shouting, they kept their voices low so I couldn't hear anything. Sam walked back up to the kiosk with a surly look on his face. and gathered the next round of climbers together. It looked very much like Petra had won the fight. Sam refused to look at me. I sighed. I hadn't been here 5 minutes and I was already causing even more trouble. As he lead the next lot participants off Petra came back with her group.

"Is everything ok?"

"yea, Sam is just a twat with issues."

I couldn't understand why he was so worked up about clothes that were probably Angela's. Then it dawned on me. I couldn't believe I'd been stupid. Angela was probably his ex-girlfriend. why else would he get so worked up about the clothes? I was sure I probably wasn't helping him move on from her wearing them.