26) goodbye Adam

Taylor's pov

It was 2pm, Summer was upstairs getting ready for rehearsal when Adam rang the doorbell. "Hey, can we.. Talk?" He asked.

"Uh, yeah, come in." We sat on the couch.

"So.."

"Look Tay, I love you but, with loving you there's Summer who would always be there if we ever decided to get married. I just don't think I'm ready for the responsibility of taking care of a mentally ill child and I don't see the point of staying in a relationship that I don't see going anywhere so.."

"You're breaking up with me?" He nodded.

"It's not you—"

"But it is my daughter. You're just going to give up?" He didn't reply. "When Summer was diagnosed, did you see me dropping her back at the orphanage?"

"That's different, you're supposed to love her unconditionally." That one sentence hurt me a lot more than it should have.

"Oh, I guess I'll tell her that you didn't."

"No, that's not what I meant I- I-"

"Goodbye Adam."

"I wish it wasn't like this I just don't think This'll work."

"No more excuses, please just go. I know it's over." He took a deep breath.

"Bye, Taylor." He went back out to his car and I watched him drive off. I can do this by myself. I can do this. It's not like he was helping out that much anyway. I put my head down and allowed the tears I had been holding in to escape. Summer walked down the stairs and started talking about something that had happened at the last rehearsal until she realized that I was crying.

"So then— mommy? Are you crying?" I wiped my tears.

"No, no I'm fine."

"That was Adam, wasn't it?" I nodded. "He broke up with you?"

"There's no getting past you is there?" She shook her head.

"I can stay." She said.

"No you should go to rehearsals, I'll be fine."

"No, I'm not going. They can work without me." I sighed.

"Summer, teddy was expecting a play date, wouldn't you rather do that instead of staying at home and being bored?"

"Bored? Mommy, Teddy is my best friend but nothing and I mean nothing is more boring than listening to him go on and on about his ever so precious rock collection. I mean that's not even a play date! Please don't make me go to that."

"Ok, ok, you can stay here with me." I said, Realizing that she wasn't going to give up easily.
"Good now, what'd he say? Did he just come in and say 'I'm breaking up with you, have a nice day.' Because if he did I'd be suspicious and slightly worried if I were you."

"Summer, I know how much you like to think you're an adult but some things I just can't talk about with you. You wouldn't understand."

"Oh, ok then." So we sat in awkward silence for a while, Summer leaned into my side and wrapped her little arms around my torso. "Hugs always make me feel better." She whispered. I rubbed her back and sighed.

"Thanks." I said.

"..so there's no chance of Adam proposing, like ever?" She asked sitting up.

"Seriously?"

"What? Too soon?" I shook my head and pulled her closer to me, kissing the top of her head and laughing a little.

"The only person I need is you." I said.

"But one day I'm gonna grow up, leaving you all sad and alone. I mean you probably can't even live without me! Maybe I should just live with you forever."

"I wouldn't mind that."

"Why can't I stay a little kid forever, mommy?" She asked, looking up at me. She had rolled over back onto the couch so she was sitting next to me again. "I don't wanna leave you, Being a grownup sounds scary."

"Baby, you have a very long time before you have to be a grownup. I wouldn't worry about that for a while. But growing up is just apart of life."

"I want to be like you when I grow up. Or I want to be an actress. Oh or both!" I had noticed that Summer was beginning to want to be the center of attention more and more lately, which isn't a bad thing as long as it doesn't go too far to the point where she's literally screaming 'look at me!' All the time.

"You can be whatever you want to be."

"That's so not true."

"What do you mean?"

"So one day if I tell you I want to be a wolf and go live in the mountains with a pack of wolves you'll say 'do whatever seems right.'"

"Well, no that's different."

"Why is it different mommy? That's not very nice to the wolves. Are you a specist? You're a specist aren't you?" With each sentence she pointed her finger closer to my face. I pushed her hand back down.

"Ok, no I'm not a specist and no you can not be a wolf."

"So no, I cannot be anything I want to be." She crossed her arms and tilted her head as if saying 'I told you so.'

"I meant career wise."

"So I can work at McDonald's forever at minimum wage?" I didn't reply.

"And yes, you were just outsmarted by a five year old." If she's like this now, I'm a little worried about her teenage years. And also slightly scared.
-------------------
I'm really starting to like updating more often, hopefully you are too! Anyways thanks for reading!