Ocean Eyes and Regret

Prompt One: Based off of the Chinese Proverb about how it is amazing that making friends takes a long time while losing friends can take only a second. ((I couldn't remember the proverb word for word, so my apologies. But, if any of you know what I am talking about, please inform me.))

I could remember the day I first realized I loved him. His pale teal eyes were so bright that I swear they were glowing; they seemed to hold the entirety of the night sky in them when they beamed at me. And those long blond threads dripping with salty water displayed his jewel-like eyes as it sat on his head in a messy mop that tangled and danced in the cool winter air soaring over the hushed whispers of the waves crashing on one another to reach the sand covering my toes. Tears ate at my skin and my breath clouded the light of the moon's face.

He was so beautiful then-- so lively and youthful-- with his naked toes snaking in and out of the moist sand beside mine like the child he always acted like, and his eyes only leaving the dark indigo velvet sky to look over to me when my breath would stutter and my nose dripped. We didn't talk, but he still stayed with me; he didn't care about the countless times I told him he could leave me. He knew better; he knew I didn't want him to leave me.

It was the first time he smiled since his mother died, the first time he took my hand into his before I could first, and the first time I heard him repeat the words only I said to him for years. 'I am so glad to have you as my best friend.'

Though I'd seen those eyes glimmer and sparkle as bright as the silver of the moon that night many years ago, I had never seen them so glossed over with tears of pain until now, not even the day when he'd finally worked up the courage to tell me of his mother's devastating fight with lung cancer while he cried into my shoulder. I'd never seen the teal dull so much that they no longer looked their usual bright, Caribbean green. No, they were drained of all hue and held nothing more than the graying husk of his vibrant iris as a single tear tore its way out of his tear ducts and over the deep crimson of his flushed cheeks. And then, one by one, single tears transformed into hot streams of saline followed frantically after the first teardrop, and his light clouds of smoky white breath spilled out from between his lips. I could almost hear the shattering of his heart through his ribcage.

I took in a gulp of air that couldn't seem to find my lungs. It met the large lump of dryness caught in the middle of my throat when I finally realised the words that dropped from my mouth. The words fell to the carpeted floor of our apartment, right next to my feet. They were heavy; they were angry and sharp as they passed over my tongue like I chewed on a glass bottle. Regret tore my brain apart as my fingers balled into numb fists that gripped my sleeves tightly. I want to take the words back, I want to start over when I wasn't mad.

"I have always hated you-- I wish I had never met a piece of shit like you. . ."

Please, God, take me back to that one night where there was nothing but salty sea air and the glowing of his eyes.

~Wow, that was terrible. I hope you liked it though????~