Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I opened my eyes. Everything was blurry. I spoke and then saw a face hovering over mine. It was Harry. He was saying something but I couldn’t hear him, only see his mouth moving. My hearing started to slowly get better and I could understand what Harry was saying.

          “I thought you’d gone.” He whispered in my ear as he kissed my forehead. As I looked into his eyes I could see tears forming in the corner. He was crying.

          “Are you crying? Well there’s something I’ve never seen.”

          “Me? Cry? No way?” He laughed.

I put one of my hands to his eyes to collect a tear on my finger tip. “Well what’s this then?” I grinned.

          “Oh so you’re feeling better already then?”

          “Don’t change the subject.” I smiled. He slowly pulled me up with one arm around my back and the other on my side and then pulled me into a gentle hug.

          “Ouch!” I groaned.

          “Oh sorry. I-I forgot about that for a moment.” Wow, I forgot about it too.

          “How bad is it?”

          “It was pretty bad. But that other guy came in with bandages and I covered it all up.”

          “Who? Ben?”

          “Yeah, that’s him. I was banging on that door for probably about an hour before he came in.”

          “Thanks.” I replied. “I probably wouldn’t want to see it anyway.” I put both my arms over his shoulders and hugged him tightly, I didn’t care about the pain it was causing. He put his arms around my waist and I buried my head into his shoulder.

          “I really thought you’d gone.” He whispered in my ear.

          “Don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere.” I said softly. “So what are we gonna do about getting out of here?” I whispered.

          “I don’t know but we’re gonna have to think of something fast, I heard them talking, they said ‘the next step’ and I don’t want to find out what that is.”

          “What did they say?”

          “Something about making you pay’ which I take it is because of the Sean thing.” He answered quietly.

          “Well, you don’t say.” I said sarcastically.

          “Don’t get sarcastic with me.” He laughed.

          “We need to stay quiet, remember.”

          “Oh yeah, the recording device thing. We have to find it.” I said firmly but not raising my voice at all. Harry nodded and started to quietly search one side of the room, while I searched the other. There weren’t many places it could be, I mean the room was small and didn’t have a lot of stuff in it. “Found anything?”

          “Nope, nothing.”

We carried on searching until I found a little brown box small enough so I could hold it in both hands. I opened it and there was a small silver recorder placed inside. I crept over to Harry and tapped him, almost making him jump. I put one finger to my mouth, and we kept silent. I don’t know what we intended to do when we had found it but we couldn’t leave it. It let them know of any plans we had. But that’s when I came up with an idea.

Everything was sorted. We’d discussed what we were going to do, quietly, I might add. I placed the small box where we had found it and then gave Harry a hand signal to let him know I was ready.

          “Oh my god! Oh my god! NO! ALISHA! Don’t do it!” He shouted at the top of his lungs. He was pretty good at acting.

          “I have nothing left to live for anymore! I just don’t see the point in all this. I can’t do it!”

          “It’s not going to last forever!”

          “You don’t know that! We could be here for years, and they can kill us off whenever they want, they can go after my family. If that happens I don’t want to live anymore!”

          “No, please don’t leave me alone with those two. You can’t.”

Harry POV

          “No, please don’t leave me alone with those two. You can’t.” I begged.

          “You don’t have to be alone, we can be together. Up there.” She spoke softly.

          “I-I don’t think I can.” This all felt so real, like she actually wanted to do it. “Ok.”

          “Ok, same time?” She asked me.

          “Yeah.” I took her hand and looked into her deep blue eyes. I saw fear in her eyes; it took me a moment to realise why. It was not because of the fake suicides we were planning but that we were planning an escape; we had to be quick and just run for it. Get out of here. Get far away. I pulled her close to me and hugged her tightly and whispered in her ear, “Don’t worry, I won’t let go.” I pulled away as we heard quick and heavy footsteps coming towards the door as if they were running. It was working. They believed us. Alisha smiled at me and we both moved to out positions. I was stood next to the door so that when it opened I was standing behind it. Alisha was behind me gripping my arm. The footsteps grew louder and Alisha’s grip got tighter. My breathing got heavier and I kept my eyes on the door handle which turned as the door swung open.

I wasn’t going to take any chances this time. I slammed the door back in his face without even taking a look to see who it was. It was Brad. Then I ran through the door pulling Alisha behind me. I didn’t know which door to take. There were 5 doors in this small hallway and it was dark.

          “It’s that one. I think so anyway. I remember stairs. Stairs through that door there.” Alisha whispered as if she was unsure. I went for it. The room we had stepped into was dark and it smelt like mould. I’m not surprised with that grotty sofa I thought to myself. “That door. The stairs are through there.” She whispered. My pace sped up as we stepped closer to freedom. The stairs were creaky and looked like they could collapse at any moment so we took it steady. At the top was a well lit room with clean cream wallpaper and wooden flooring. On the walls hung photos, I ‘m guessing of their family, I recognise Sean anyway. “That door. We have to be careful; this is where they jumped out on me.” We quickly headed for the door and stepped out into the daylight. I sort of forgot what being outside was like since it had been a few days but I can’t imagine how Alisha feels, it’s got to have been weeks since she’d been out.

          “We did it.” I said excitedly.

          “We’re not safe yet. We should just run for it.” She smiled at me and squeezed my hand a little tighter.

But before we could run anywhere I heard a muffled voice. Like screaming. Screaming for help. “NO! GET AWAY FROM ME! DON’T YOU DARE TOUCH ME! No, no, no! Please! No!” That voice… It sounded so familiar. I looked to Alisha, tears were forming in her eyes.

          “No… They can’t have.”

Then footsteps approached us. We turned and saw Brad, his face bruised and bleeding from the impact of the door hitting him. He was holding a walkie talkie. “Don’t you want to say hi to Leila?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I'm hoping you're all liking this book. Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been busy with work stuff. Hope you like it! Comment and vote or pm me what you think. I love to hear what you think of this. <3