(File 1: Two times the trouble) #3: Under constant protection

File 1: Two times the trouble

#3 Under constant Protection

NARU'S POV

'Why are they after her?! Why does it always have to be Mai?!' I told myself while calmly sitting at the base researching through the Ukiona's witness' cases. Hmm. . All the witnesses said that they saw two persons of one being at two places at the same time. Doppelgangers are usually the most dangerous spirits that had ever existed in the world. I've never lost my cool back there. It's just. . Mai had always been in danger and Gene and Bou-san had always been there to save. Not once have I saved her. Maybe she thinks I'm incompetent already. Maybe that's why Gene said I've caused her too much trouble.

"Naru, Oy Naru snap out of it" I suddenly looked up and saw Hara-san in front of me. She wore her usual red yukata with floral patterns waist banded by a yellow checkered cloth.

"What is it?" I asked and she frowned at me. I stared at her emotionlessly and she stared back at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Mai's awake. You as a boss should go check on your little assistant" she said rudely and walked away. Psh. Bitter isn't better Hara-san. I stood up and dusted my clothes. Right now I was wearing Mai's favorite. The black dress shirt I always wear with the black over coat and black pants. I walked towards the clinic were she was rushed by the doctor and has fallen asleep. I remembered the time when I saved her from the falling debris of the case we had back then. It occurred in the clinic of Yumesaki High school. That was the first time I had touched her. That was three years ago. That was also the last time I had saved her. Ever since she became fatherly attached to Bou-san and brotherly attached to my brother she had been around them since forever.

I stopped in front of the clinic and opened the door only to find Mai all alone. What are the other's been doing leaving her alone??

"Mai, where are Gene and the others?" I asked her and she just shrugged obviously not knowing where they were. I rubbed my temple to ease the anger that was swelling up at me. How could they leave her like this?! I know she knows how to defend herself but she's not as strong as they are. Stupid Gene and the others.

'I heard that' Gene suddenly mind-linked me and I said 'Good at least now you have a good reason to get your sorry ass back here in the clinic'

'Dear brother, we found another witness. Actually speaking, we are on scene chasing the ganger. Protect Mai with all you've got. Because they are after her' my eyes suddenly widened when I saw Mai's eyes open like saucers. Shit, I forgot to put a wall there.

"Shit" I suddenly muttered and went straight to the trembling Mai. She clutched both her arms and lowered her head. Her eyes showed that sign of fear and I wanted to take it away. I can't see her like this, she was always laughing, cheerful, and sometimes childish too, but not like this. She looked so wrecked. She was always strong.

"Mai. . Mai" I shook her so that she would get some sense in her head. She whipped her head so fast and I saw tears brimming her eyes. She hugged me tight and I could feel my dress shirt get wet on a particular spot. She gripped my shirt as her tears fell more.

"Naru. . Why me?? Why?" she asked me and I just held her in my arms rocking her a bit.

"Be strong Mai. . We've been through a lot. Be strong" I said as I hushed her crying. Her tears eventually ceased and only dry sobs could be heard. Suddenly the lights went out and Mai clutched me tighter than ever. I held her tightly and looked around our surroundings. I heard scratching sounds and ghostly moans covered the clinic. Mai covered her ears and was now crying uncontrollably.

'Mai, listen to me. . I want you to cast the nine pillars right this instant in front of us all right? Do you understand?' I asked her and she nodded against my chest inhaling before turning around. She placed her hands in front of her chest and said  the nine words to activate it.

"Rin"

"Pyou"

"Toh"

"Shah"

"Kai"

"Jin"

"Retsu"

"Sai"

"Zen!"

We heard an anguish scream and in a whimsical manner, the most gruesome creature appeared right before us attempting to grab hold of Mai. It had red menacing eyes and stood like a human, it had blood as a part of his whole body dripping with a splat on the ground and it's body was sliced in the middle just ending by the waist. It tried to reach for her yet I blasted it with a small psychic energy sending it crashing towards the clinic wall. I hurriedly carried Mai towards the door and kicked it open and there I saw Gene or should I say deformed Gene which was by far bloody. So this is his doppelganger. Hmm. Might as well have some fun with the anger that's playing inside me for him. Suddenly a blast of white energy came from the side and splattering R.Gene's head (R meaning Replica). I looked to my side and saw Gene and Bou-san along with John running towards us. A dripping wet hand suddenly grabbed my shoulder yanking me backwards along with Mai. I looked back and saw the creature's two faces near me. For a moment there I thought I was going to be eaten by it. I could tell you that it was more gruesome up close. (I'll leave this part to your imaginations)

"Nau manku san dabara zan dankan!" Bou-san chanted and the spirit disappeared in a flash leaving nothing along its path. I released a sigh and cradled Mai in my arms. I saw that she has fainted but her faint snores said that she was sleeping peacefully. I hugged her tighter and inhaled her sweet scent. She smelled like cherries with a mix of sweet candy. Just like her.

"Sorry to interrupt your moment Naru, but we have to go" I tensed as I heard Gene say that between the lines of 'Stop flirting' and 'You two look great together'. I glared at him and he just snickered at me.

What an annoying brother.

GENE'S POV

Haay, my lil' bro's all grown up now. How sweet. Mai's so lucky to have my narcissistic brother as her suitor. Hmm wait is Naru even courting her? I bet he isn't. He is such a dumbass sometimes. He may be so smart when it comes to paranormal cases but he is a no-brainer when it comes to Mai.

After the gruesome scene at the clinic, Mai has undergone shock that she didn't want to sleep without Me, Naru and Bou-san beside her. Me, because I can connect with her dreams and protect her there, Bou-san because he can put a sleeping spell on her if ever a spirit may possess her inside the dream and Naru, who was there to support her. She loves him so much I know I've seen how these two interact every time I've come in contact with her thoughts. Young love. Ahaha so much for me. Well. I had feelings for Mai "HAD" okay meaning it's in the past tense. But seeing as how my brother wanted her all for himself I couldn't say no to him. Naru, is just like a kid. He will never grow up without knowing what love is. And also Mai treats me like a sister treats her brother so I was Brother-zoned ouch.

'Gene where are you?' Mai suddenly mind-linked me and her voice fitted right in my head. What the heck are you thinking Gene?! Snap out of it!

'I'm coming back, I just did a few rounds to see if more gangers will pop up' I told her and she okayed. Suddenly there was a scream and I hurried towards it. The Stranger Danger Creature was there right before my eyes and was advancing towards an Ukiona HS student. I blasted it with a small qigong and it splattered disappearing in a whimsical manner. What the heck was that? I fell to the ground almost feeling my energy wash away from me. Using psychic energy can take a lot from you.

'Gene, what happened to you?!? Answer me now!' Naru suddenly shouted in my head and I rubbed it feeling a little weak. The girl ran away from me and she didn't even look back. She had brown hair just like Mai and the same length as hers.

'I'm fine Naru just feeling a little weak' I mind-linked him as I droopily closed my eyed. Damn it. I haven't used my powers in a long time and I'm getting rusty damn it. I felt myself losing consciousness when a small voice suddenly called me.

"Gene! Gene! Wake up!" I saw Masako's face hovering over me but I was too weak to even lift my arms.

"Ma-sako. . Call Na-ru. ." and then everything went black.

########################################