CHAPTER 23: A NEW LIFE

We've been running around all night when we finally found Gem in a ditch. Okay, specifically, she was found half-naked in a rotting dumpster on the side corner of 28th street. She was unconscious, but luckily she was still alive. It didn't exactly take a first-honor student to know that she was raped. As gory as it may seem, I still couldn't believe it. Several girls have been raped throughout history, but I never thought that a person close to my heart would be one of them.

Thought me and Emma were in a shocked, near catatonic state, we frantically dialed 911 and asked dor an immediate ambulance. God knows what Emma could be suffering from. We walked the brightly-lit, pearl-white corridors. Basically, that's the only thing I can describe about the hospital since I was worried and heavy-hearted the whole time.

It was my fault. I paid no heed to the phone call, and just did Math while my best friend was kidnapped and toyed with. Shit. This was my fault. Even though I could have never known that this would happen, a rational person would've visited and called for help. I let my emotions cloud my judgment; and worst of all, it wasn't even her fault! Her family filed charges against mine; she didn't do it! If only I could travel back and just slap myself in the head for being such a stupid human being.

Emma and I went to the room and probably heard the worst news ever. But just a split-second before I heard it from her mouth, I already knew ir just by turning my head a few degrees. I saw in the ultrasound screen, a pea-sized shape thing moving around slowly. She was pregnant. Holy crap.