Second Chance

Hey guys, here is the second edited chapter, as indicated by this note and the fact that there is a new title. I hope you guys enjoy. (:

I had never been this much of a wreck, well not in a long time at least. I had left the apartment this morning extremely late for work, staying up thinking about the kid I barely knew but wanted to know so bad has horrible outcomes. My lines were off and I sounded horrible when I sang, but it was all worth it because as work drizzled to an end, my long day became very happy. I hopped into my car and drove several miles over the speed limit, but who cares, to get to the home. Today was pick up day, adoption day was supposed to be yesterday and I hadn't filled out a form to apply, so I hoped and prayed that she hadn't been taken with another family.

Families came pouring out, kids and adults a like, all smiling and laughing. The kids only had small bags, but I was sure that wasn't for too long, these kids were going to be spoiled and I was sure of it. most of the families were rich, it was indicated by the way they dressed and the way they're lifestyle looked from the outside.

I rushed up the stairs, taking two at a time so I could get to the door as fast as I could. Pushing through people, I made my way to the front desk, out of breath and almost half dead, but it was completely worth it, as I said.

"May I help you?" The woman at the desk asked, her eyebrow raised slightly. I nodded my head, taking a second to catch my breath before I could talk.

"I want adoption papers, for a little girl here, please." I stuttered out, still breathing deeply. Her face fell and she shook her head.

"Ma'am, all the adoption papers were to be signed yesterday, there is only a few children left and they are headed to the foster home in an hour." I was sad. Devastated. Pissed. Money was the only option.

"Ill pay double, triple the adoption fee, just let me adopt please." I begged and she looked at her computer and then back at me.

"If the child is here, I will agree to allow you on special circumstances." I breathed out a sigh of relief.

"Who is the child you are interested in taking home?" The woman behind the desk asked, typing away at her computer.

"She told me her name was Sofia, she's five." I breathed out, turning my head to look around.

"Ah, a couple was interested in her, but they missed both their times, so I will print you out an application and put a rush on it with our lawyer in the back." I was handed a packet of papers and a pen, then I moved towards the table and chairs. I sat and began to fill them out.

Within a half an hour, I sat anxiously outside the office of the lawyer inside the building. My hands rang together as I bounced my legs. I had this feeling of completeness as I waited, thinking about my life with this child. Although I barely knew her, I knew that she was the right fit for me, no matter what anyone said. I could not let this little girl go off to a foster home where they were mistreated, so I had heard about the system.

The door to the office swung open and I was called in, I was among several different couples, all also anxiously awaiting to hear if they were accepted.

I walked inside and took a seat. As we began to discuss Sofia and what my intentions were as a parent for this girl, the lawyer handed me one final piece of paper to sign before she was mine. Tears welled in my eyes as she told me the news, it made me jump for joy inside. I signed my signature rather shakily, but it did not matter because with that signature, Sofia was now my own.

I stood from my spot on the chair, reached over to shake the woman's hand and took my copies of the papers that I would need to submit to my own lawyer. I smiled as I left, smiling at the other waiting couples as another set was called in.