49

/// one day later

Loud banging startled me in the middle of the night. Scowling, I got out of my warm paradise and shuffled to the front door, dressed in short shorts and a tank top, no bra at all.

I swung open the front door with an angry look on my face. I was met by some scary looking police officers I had met at the police station days ago when I had my little run into with Kalum.

"Why the hell are you guys here at 3 am? Couldnt any shit from this case wait until tomorrow morning? Honest to go-" I was cut off in the middle of my pissy rant by one of the officers grabbing my arm and turning my around.

"What the fuck are you doing? Get your hands off me!" I shouted, gasping as cold metal came in contact with my wrists.

"Hold the fu-" I started but again, was cut off by a police officer.

"Demetria Lovato, you are under arrest for the attempted murder of Marissa Callahan. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. If you start asking questions now, you can stop at any time. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?” My mouth hung open as he jerked and pulled me away from the door.

"I have a child, wait! Shes in here, asleep, I cant leave her here alone!" I yelled, and all this commotion must have woken up the blonde beauty that stood against the hallway, her little hand reaching up to turn on the light.

"Mama? What are you doing?" The 6 year old asked me, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"Listen to me baby, mommy will be back, I promise, just, remember I love you, so much." Tears filled my eyes as a woman I hadnt noticed in her late 40's walked into my apartment, approaching my daughter. 

Sofia drew back, scared and confused, looking from me to this woman trying to talk to her. The woman went to grab at her as I fought against the police officer. They kept trying to pull me back, but I couldnt let this go yet.

"Ma'am, lets go. She will be fine." Another officer told me.

"Dont touch her, shes scared of peoples touch!" Her breathing was catching up again, she was turning white as a ghost and I was the only one who knew what to do.

"She needs her inhaler! Shes going to pass out, please, just let me help my daughter and then Ill go, please." I begged, tears streaming from my eyes.

The officers talked for a moment quietly before the handcuffs where removed from my hands and they set me free. I rushed to the living room, dumping my purse out onto the table and scattering things everywhere just to find the little blue holder that held the medication to calm my baby down.

Sofia was curled up on the floor, rocking back and forth. I touched her head and she flinched back, looking up at me. As soon as she saw me, she threw herself at me and opened her mouth, begging for the medication to enter her lungs.

I pushed down on the button, letting the medication fill her lungs. She regained her ability to breath, but her sobbing couldnt be contained. Neighbours had started to come from their rooms, looking around to see where all the noise was coming from.

I held my kid for as long as I could, until I was grabbed again and forced out the door, leaving my child behind. Our eyes where locked until we could see each other anymore, her tear stained face and my teary eyes, locked for as long as we could keep it up.

/// yesterday afternoon.

"What do you mean there is nothing you can do?! I showed you every piece of evidence there is, you could have them all locked up for abuse and torture of a minor, but yet you say you cant do a thing? What kind of police officers are you?!" I screamed at the caption of this force, angry and pissed off.