Chapter 135

Songsfor this chapter:

CaseClosed- LittleMix

StoryofmyLife- OneDirection

*4 hours earlier*

Meri’s POV

I put on a fake smile as Zayn says, “So, this song is, of course, dedicated to you.” I feel the familiar sting of pain shattering my heart as the melody of ‘Marry Me’ by Jason Derulo begins to serenade the room. This whole night has been nothing but pure torture. No one else knew the pain that this party was putting us through.

“You want to dance?”, Niall questions me, snapping me out of my daze. Maura and Denise both send me adoring looks, and I return the favor until my eyes meet Niall’s. His perfectly straight teeth smiled, but his eyes didn’t. I could see and feel the hurt and pain that no one else could.

I nod, no words coming to my mind as we stand. Niall takes my hand in his, leading me to the vacant dance floor. He lifts my hand, pulling me towards him before letting it fall to his shoulder. His hands rest on my hips as people begin to congregate the platform.

Niall chuckles as Denise and Greg pass us as we begin to sway back and forth to the rhythm of the music. I study his face for the few moments that his attention was diverted before he suddenly turns back to face me, catching me in the act. I feel my cheeks flush to a pale pink, and my head turns away, avoiding his gaze.

One of his hands departs from my side, and situates itself on my cheek. He sends me a sympathetic smile as he searches my eyes. I lower my eyes to block him out, not able to take the humiliation that was beginning to become intolerable. He notices my cheerless attitude, placing his hands on both of my shoulders and bringing me closer. Light kisses are placed to my forehead before being replaced with his forehead, our noses brushing lightly as we continue to dance.

“This doesn’t mean I love you any less.”, he informs, his voice low and quest. This is the first time the real Niall had made an appearance tonight. I feel a bit of relief override my guilt for a split second before it returns again. I don’t respond, just embrace the feeling of being wrapped in his arms.

“You know this song is perfect, actually. More perfect than anyone here knows.”, he comments, not taking his ees off of mine even though mine were continually shifting between his and his black bowtie around the base of his neck. Niall begins to hum along as Zayn sings the next verse. His voice could barely be heard over my own heartbeat as Niall keeps his head against mine.

“And you know one of these days when I get my money right

Buy you everything and show you all the finer things in life.”

I take a quivering breath in as Nialll gradually leans in, his lips floating beside my ear.

“Will forever be enough, so there ain’t no need to rush

But one day, I won’t be able to ask you loud enough”, he sang along with Zayn quietly, his arms protectively, enveloping me.

“Niall, please..”, I clamor, pulling my head away from him. His arms stay around me, but as he pulls back, I notice his face had hardened. Normally, I would melt into a puddle if Niall was this affectionate, but right now, it made me squeamish.