Chapter 3

I look up from my phone to see the huge Motel 6 sign in front of me. "Here goes nothing." I whisper to myself. I walk up to the stairs that could lead you to the rooms. I look around trying to spot Ethans brother. No one in sight.

"Well, well, well." I jump at the voice behind me. I turn around to see him. "Look who actually decided to show up." He smirks. "Why wouldn't I? You said you could help me." He starts to step in closer. "I can help you, and I will. Follow me." He turns around and starts walking up the steps.

The wooden steps creek with every step we take. We finally get to the level his room is on. He jiggles the key in the door to try and open it. After a couple of minutes the door finally opens. We walk into the room, him before me. I stop in the door way looking into the room. One bed, one lamp, one rusty television, stained carpet. Still better than my last apartment though.

"Are you going to come in, or just stand there?" He asks with a smile and a little giggle. I grab my bag with both hands and walk in a couple feet. He sits on the bed and turns on the television, acting like I'm not here.

"Why do you want to help me?" I ask. "Cause I feel like it's the right thing to do." He mumbles. I set my bag down on his bed. "But why now? I've known you for years, but you hated my guts cause I sided with your brother and not you." He sighs and mutes the television and puts his full attention on me. "When I found out my brother passed I knew you were going to be all alone. Over the years you've turned your back on your family, your friends basically the whole community. The only person you had was Ethan. Now that Ethan is gone you have nobody." He finished off. "Yeah, thanks for pointing that out." I say with sarcasm clearly in my voice.

I walk into the small worn down bathroom. I look in the mirror. I look beaten, I feel beaten. I almost look lifeless. I turn on the hot water tab, but cold water runs out of the faucet. I bend down and splash water onto my face. I look at myself in the mirror again before drying my face. I look dead. I dry my face with the raggedy towel and make my way out the bathroom.

"Might as well make yourself at home, we're gonna be staying here a while." He said not taking his eyes off the tv. "Where am I going to sleep?" I asked. "You can have the bed, I'll sleep on the floor." Well that was not expected. He goes to make a little bed out of the few blankets we have when the news turns on. We both turn our attention to the tiny screen.

"Police have found the body of a troubled teen that has been in hide from the government for 2 years." I sit up from laying down on the bed to see if I understood what she just said. "Police are now only after Annabelle Hathaway, the other half of the in hide from government." Grayson and I both look at each other and then back at the television. "They have detected that Annabelle is not far away as they tracked footprints from the accident supposedly the size of Annabelles foot. Now John what do you think about that?" Grayson turns off the tv. Both our mouths open in shock.

"We have to get out of here." Grayson said.

Authors note
Looks like Grayson and Annabelle are now working together, what do you think about that? The story is just getting started to keep reading!