Chapter 5

I woke up to the car moving. I rub my eyes to clear my vision. I look up to see Grayson driving. "Good morning." He says not taking his eyes off the road. I don't reply but just rub my eyes again. I set my seat up and look at the clock on the car. "8:42" the digital clock read.

"Are you hungry?" Grayson asks as I stretch. "Yeah, a little." I reply. "Well there's an IHOP up here, I can stop and we can go in and eat." I nod and look out the window.

Grayson parks the car and turns off the engine. I put on the hood of the grey sweatshirt that I haven't taken off yet. We both walk inside. A perky blonde is waiting for customers at the front. "Hello welcome to IHOP how many will need seated." The perky hostess asks. "Uhh, just two." Grayson says holding up two fingers. "Okay right this way." She grabs two menus and takes us to our table. We sit down and start looking at the menus.

"Did you sleep okay?" Grayson asked not looking up from the menu. "Yeah, how about you?" I set down my menu and look at him. "Mhm." He hums. Our waitress comes up to our table with a smile bigger than Texas.

"Hi my name is Diana and I'll be serving you this morning, can I start you off with something to drink." Okay she is way too perky. "I'll just have a water." I say. "Make that two." Grayson says right after me. She nods and walks away. "So where are we headed to, you never told me." Grayson looks up from the menu. "We're going to New York. The big apple should be big enough to keep you hidden for a while, and if that doesn't work we will just keep moving." I nod as our waitress comes back with two waters.

"Okay now what can I get you guys off to eat?" How can someone be so perky? "I think we will both take just regular pancakes with butter and syrup." Grayson says. Diana writes our orders down on her little note pad and walks off with a huge smile. "How far are we from New York?"

"We still got a ways to go." I nod. "You know sleeping in a car wasn't so bad. Well not as bad as I thought it would be. It's was kind of cool." I say with a little smile. "Really? Have you never slept in a car before?" Grayson asks and I shake my head. "Wow, you aren't as adventurous as I thought you were Anna." My smile quickly fades.

No one has ever called me Anna beside Ethan. My friends and family always called me by my full name, Annabelle. Grayson must have noticed my change in moods as he looked at me with concern in his eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked with worry in his voice. I nod not saying a word. He reaches for my hand on the table and slowly grabs it. He quickly pulls away when our waitress brings us our food.

"Okay, here you go. Two regular ole pancakes with just butter and syrup." Diana says. "Can I get you guys anything else?" She asks before leaving. "Yeah, can we get water in to go cups please?" Grayson asked. She nodded and walked off.

Man these pancakes look so good. I spread the butter that was rested on the top of the pancakes. Grayson starts eating his as the waitress comes back with our took cups. "Anything else?" She asks. "Yeah, one more thing, can we have some boxes?" I look at Grayson confused. We just got our food why would need need boxes. Diana smiled and nodded as she went to go get our boxes.

"Grayson why do we need boxes we just got our food?" He looks around, like he's looking to see if anyone is listening. He comes close and whispers. "Just follow my lead." I look at him confused but nod slowly.

Diana comes back with our boxes. "Anything else?" She asks. "No I think we are good for now." Grayson said with a smile. I look back and forth between the two until Diana finally walks off.

Grayson grabs my food and starts putting it in the box. "Hey what are you doing?! I was eating that!" I whisper yell at him. He doesn't say anything but keeps putting our food in the boxes and gives me a glare. I cross my arms and sit back in my seat.

Before I know it Grayson is grabbing the boxes with one arm and pulling me out of my chair with the other. "Run!" He tells me. We run out the doors and into the car.

"GET THEIR LICENSE PLATE NUMBER!" I hear someone yell behind us. Grayson speeds off as I'm buckling. We swerve on the road trying to get as far away from the IHOP as possible. "Wow Grayson I've never seen this side of you." I say with a smirk. "Yeah yeah, buckle up." Grayson tells me as we finally slow down.

"Wow, what a rush. I haven't had adrenaline like that in 3 months." I say resting my head on the car seat.

"Well get use to it, I have a feeling we will be doing a lot of that on our journey."

Authors note
Here's a little bit longer chapter. I really like this chapter, who knew Grayson had a eat and run side 😂 anyway I hope you're enjoying the book.