Chapter 12

We come to a complete stop as we enter another abandon parking lot. Grayson parks the car and shuts off the engine. He sighs and he places both hands on the wheel and rest his head on the wheel.

"Grayson, why did you get yourself into this?" I look at him. "I wanted to help you." He says not looking up from the wheel. "But why? You could be at your house right now living a peaceful life. But instead you decide to help a troubled teen that doesn't have her head screwed on straight?" My voice starts to get louder. "I never thought there would be consequences for my actions Grayson! I never thought about what would happen if I got caught! I didn't want to be in this position in the first place!" I yell. I feel tears at the edge of my eyes. I refuse to have them pour out.

"You know why I got myself into this mess? Huh? You know why I saved you from those guys? You know why I never spoke to you until now?!" Grayson looks at me raising his voice. I sit there in silence waiting for him to continue.

"I was always jealous of what Ethan had. He had it all. He had the adventure. He had the fun. He had you." I cross my arms not looking at him. Tears almost fall but I wipe them quickly. "I always wanted that." Grayson finishes off.

"You think running from the government is fun?! You think not being able to settle down and have a normal life is adventurous?! Ethan and I had to live on the streets most nights because we couldn't get a job because everyone in town knew who we were! Ethan and I were constantly on the move. Some days we didn't get a meal because we didn't have money! We were chased after people who we owed money to. You know where that lead us?! Ethan is now dead! He's dead! And you were stupid enough to get yourself involved in a mess like this!" Grayson sits there in silence.

"You basically just gave yourself a death wish." I finish off. The tears started pouring and I couldn't control it. "If we keep running it could get us killed." I say. I unbuckle my seatbelt and open the car door. I get out of the car with Grayson quickly following me.

"Where are you going?!" Grayson asked. "I'm doing this on my own." I say stopping and facing him. "What?" He stares at me with a confused look. "I'm not dying for you." I say. "What do you mean?" I shake my head and sigh. "I'm going to turn myself in. If we keep running they are just going to kill us." I say.

Grayson runs in front of me. "Get back in that car." Grayson says grabbing my shoulders. "Why?" I ask. "Because we are in this together. You're not leaving me, and I'm not leaving you, okay?" Grayson says letting go of my shoulders.

I sigh as I walk back to the car. We both get in as Grayson starts the car. "We're in this together." Grayson says grabbing my hand. "Together." I say.

Authors note
Whoa what a crazy chapter!!! The book is almost over, how do you feel about that?