The Rumors are True?

The humble loft was ultimately stripped of most of its relics. Among the destruction of the miniature city of Paris, a round, lumpy figure that resembled much like the hunchback who faced him. The captain of the group picked it up and observed it. Perhaps the monster was protecting something else? However the truth may be, it was crucial that Dracon should know.

Quasimodo and the poor gypsy soon came upon another problem. There were outlaws searching around the hapless cathedral, in every street, alley and alcove. The two hid among the King's and blessedly, it was dark enough for them to simply hide. How were they to escape?

"This- this is terrible." Quasimodo trembled, burying his face in his shaken hands. Suddenly rushing into that fight to save Esmeralda, he found it hard to calm down.

Esmeralda went forth and gently took his hand before giving him a tight hug. He was taken by surprise at first, but then he wrapped his arms around her, feeling relief, finally.

"I thought I was never going to see you again, Quasimodo." she whispered to him in a voice strained with worry. "I could not find you, but you came."

"I - I would - would never...." he stammered at first but then fought hard to stop it. "I."

His mind was so rattled, he could not even speak. "Oh, Esmeralda... I'm so happy. So happy that you are all right."

Yet, there was one thing on his mind. Nervously, he gently pulled from the embrace to look at her, in a rather confused way.

"I came. I came to find you, Quasi." She told him with a tender smile.

"M-me?" was the word that slipped his tongue.

"Yes. You.... You've done so much for me. I couldn't and...would never want to leave you behind."

Quasimodo kept his eyes on her, awe-struck for a moment. For the first time of his life, she, unintentionally tore his heart in two ways. Yet, she was loving him still. Esmeralda still loved him as a dear friend. It was more than he expected, truly.

"Esmeralda. You shouldn't have." he broke out of his reverie when he thought of how dangerous the city was now. "You...shouldn't have come for me. What of...what of your people?"

"They have fled already." she said, worried.

"What?" Quasi softly exclaimed.

"It was of my choice. I wanted to find you first."

Just being able to lay eyes on her face again was a grand blessing, but if he was granted the choice, he would have had her go without him, with her people. Yet, he was deeply touched that she cared for him that much to stay. He lightly pulled her into another embrace. The Gargoyles humbly looked on over the two, worried.

"Will you come with me?" Esmeralda asked.

Quasimodo despondently nodded. Certainly, there was absolutely nothing left in Paris for them now.

"Yes, yes." he swallowed hard. "I...I will." he promised to the gypsy.

Esmeralda's worried face melted into relief. "Quasimodo.... Bless you." she sighed out as she hugged him again.

Despite all this, Quasimodo fell worried again. The child who was dragged into this. Rose. Also, was his beliefs true about her? Of course, it would be ridiculous, for the lost heir to be going along alone in Paris, of all places.

"Esmeralda?" he sighed as he pulled away from the hug. She saw his discomfort in his eyes.

"What? What's the matter?"