The Aftermath

A tremendous wind bent the treetops violently as the gray threatening clouds flew in from the east and over the northern woods. Sheltered, finally, the DuBois who had the true heir on their hands made it to the foot of the great forest that he and she had hidden in until now. His horse was beginning to feel his anxiety and kept counting out of impatience. Following close to Evrard and his sister, Adalyn, Esmeralda made sure the pace was grueling. Evrard had prepared himself for anything, apparently, by keeping his bow at the ready. They were out in the wide and open, where it was deemed as the most vulnerable and dangerous. For them, they had what the vegabonds were looking for. She was wary eyed as she rode along with Adalyn. Her hand was small, but the grip she had on the horse's mane was mighty. As she gripped, she prayed truly hard, hoping Quasimodo was in safety.

"...I love you, father...." she began to sob with the awful knowing that their goodbye was not complete. "...never forget me..."

Hearing the little girl's prayer, lightly, in a voice tight in pain, Adalyn kept the horse at a gentle pace. Now that she was close to her brother, she was just able to overhear. Esmeralda had just brought forth a question.

"...we normally do not speak of it, my lady." Adalyn was able to catch onto her brother's sad voice.

Esmeralda deeply regretted asking how the Burrowers came to be and despondently looked down.

"I apologize, my friend... I did not intend to cause you pain." she had said before turning to look over her shoulder.

Aurora saw her look at her and she looked in return, pleading. This entire plan seemed to work through quite well, but the gypsy was deeply pained to see those sad eyes. To tear a child away from the protector she so loved, in a way was tearing her apart as well. Adalyn gave the girl a sweet kiss to her head.

"It will not be long, dear one." the ginger whispered and Rose looked up at her.

It was a long trek if they were to try and find the King's men or even get to the royal city itself without drawing too much attention to themselves.

Rose looked at her and then to the two others. Evrard got a look into her eyes, taking him back, yet again, to that awful night. His mother was so high strung, so bold to even go against authority for her own children, but never cared for her own life. Most of the time. He had even wondered why he had chosen to stay with these children ever since her death. She inspired him, taught that the youth were more important in this world and had always made it less dark as it seemed.

He had grieved, even more than his sister did, in truth. Because he had watched her die that awful morning in the greatest agony imaginable. He saw the light leave her eyes and he had lived in regret since then. He was quite thankful though, that his sister was not cursed to live with the grotesque image. If she did, she wouldn't be as calm as she was today. Yet, he had wondered, if Desideria was still alive...where would he and his siblings be? Perhaps somewhere better.

Rose's sad emotion reminded him of that night when he yelled at Adalyn to run away as Desideria had gone into labor. The girl was so stubborn of leaving her mother and Evrard had to yell at her to get her to run. He would have died for her if he had to. Adalyn had to flee.

Evrard swallowed down the weeping lump in his throat and looked away from the shrunken child. Esmeralda, tired, weak, yet determined, took note of the Burrower's sorrow.

Indeed. The farther they were from the roads, the better. The smell of firewood had come to them which meant that they were nearing a farm. Evrard stopped his horse and Adalyn came between him and Esmeralda. They had reached over this one hill and even yet, the grand bell towers of Paris were still in view, but there was still much ground to cover.