The Traps

The woods had gotten darker and the roads had not begun yet to lead them to the safety of the capital boundary. The Archdeacon gave a gruff sigh before he coughed slight to clear his lungs slight. It had startled the blind farmer lass beside him, who turned her head. She heard him cough again which had brought her worry to a high level.

"You...you're going to hack up a cow's cud or something?" she asked and it made the elder chuckle a little.

"I am fine, my dear."

"You sound bloody awful." she inquired, quite loosely. But she then covered her shoulders more.

Or she would have if it were not for her own compassion towards the old man. She took her own shawl off and gave it to him as her attention was towards the other way. As a small, weak smile graced the Bishop's face, he gratefully took it. The blind had sure changed after all this time. She had become compassionate despite her gruff way.

"Thank you kindly, dear lady." he said.

She gave a slanted smile. Indeed, her empty heart had softened over time.

"Thank Quasimodo, in truth..." she then spoke as he covered his own shoulders with the shawl. "...he graced my heart. Never had he made an empty promise."

"He loves you."

"No man had ever cared for me as much as he did. May I ask you something?"

"...of course."

"... what color are his eyes?" she then asked the most unorthodox question after a long moment, yet it was expected of a blind.

He was silenced for a long moment on this one fact that she wanted to know. He then got an idea to test how much she knew the boy after all this time.

"...maybe you can tell me, Lady Agatha." he then said, softly.

Agatha then hung her head slight as she thought, by knowing Quasimodo by personality, by sound and by touch. Not by sight, yet it was as though she knew his appearance as well. The Bishop was bold enough to have her guess. Color was confusing to her so she found it a little difficult to try to describe. But she then remembered her past time when she still had her eyes and the one thing she enjoyed to see was the falling sun upon the calming ripples of the river, light and soft... just like him. It seemed like a few long minutes before she had begun to answer.

"...are they like the Seine? During the sunset?" she said, in a calm voice.

That answer made him smile.

"Yes. They are." he nodded.

Agatha had to smile.

But it was not a moment later when the sky began to peek through at them through the trees. The blind one could feel the warmth upon her paled face. They were reaching the end of the wood and the roads were only a mile off from the foot. All they had to do was act calm and not conspicuous if any authority should pass their way. That was until her worry began to overtake her. He had to return. He had to.... Yet, even if he didn't, then she had met the most bravest, honest man. Her heart was his and his heart was hers. It was that clear. Why was it so that when she felt at least the slightest close to someone, fate just grabbed them from her like a thief in the night? She may had been rough and rude. That was just how she was. It was how she lived and he saw right through her the whole while. When she touched his cheek to be able to get a slight feel of his appearance...she truly did not see him as ugly as he said. It was a surprise to her, but it was not a horrid thing. As a matter of fact, knowing that made her feel...no longer alone. He was someone she could relate to. Not out of being crude, as she was always believed to be. It was only a mask....