Something She Deserved

It was a sound she dreaded to hear, all through her life. The sound of thunder, it was soft yet unnerving to her. It was the feeling she had when she knew she was in trouble.

The Seine was their only guide on this journey, not only the moon and the sun. Just as the woodcutter had promised, for his own sake mainly. But going East seemed to be going farther away from the capital, yet the river seemed to get narrower in certain areas. It was at best to leave the caravan behind, just to not slow down.

The grand mist began to take its leave in a slow manner. The river seemed to carry reminders of their home fully taken away from them. Wood of burned remains of homes floated, scattered along the banks. Quasimodo, one who was so timid, looked over these scarring signs of what was left. Judeth was still under his care, as he kept a firm arm over her as he rode the pony. The woodcutter leading them, the gypsy king keeping a close eye on the man, kept an eye out for that landmark. Quasimodo, silent and grieving still had turned his head for only a moment. When he did, he saw the tower of a frail chapel in the distance, on their side of the river.

The sun was gone and had been for quite some time. Agatha who was riding with him and she clung onto him from behind. She rested her head to his burly back, able to feel his running heart. As it was before, she could not stand of how anxious he got. But she soon felt him pause the horse and his frame shivered for a second....

"Quasimodo." she called, in concern.

"I...I see something!" the hunchback seemed to yelp out, fear coursing through him.

"It is the old chapel." Clopin mentioned as he rode up next to them.

Agatha began to have a hard time catching her breath as much as Quasimodo did.

"I did not know it was that close." she managed to say.

"You must have an occupied mind then." Clopin mentioned.

"Clopin -- " Quasi began and he looked at him, directly. "...if he is there... what is it are we to do if he should find her?" he asked in dread.

"Eh, improvisation, I suppose." the man smirked.

"You had plans before..." Agatha soured, clenching her fist in impatience.

"That is how it is, my dear. Sir Bernard might gladly oblige."

When he heard his name, he cringed.

"Now is your chance, sir. Go and cross the Seine and the city is beyond those hills. Go out there and seek the ranks. Do not return until you find them..." Clopin explained and urged.

"Cross the river? I?"

"Aye. You must. Please, you must hurry!"

"Please... W-we will...we will be most grateful..." Quasimodo tearfully added, looking at the woodcutter sincerely.

Hearing the anguish in her love's voice, Agatha shuddered a sigh, resting against him, comforting him with strokes along his shoulder. Judeth was not sure of what was truly going on, but Quasimodo was upset greatly.

"Just try, all right! I won't hold it against you."

"...but-"