A Strong Heart

The open window panes of some of the resident homes of the city of Paris remained open with no life existing within them. In one despondent window was a torn rag hanging over its sill, dripping onto the lonely, wet street below. Shot arrows covered most of the building outside walls as most of them were still smoldering. There were no people left in the great city. It was as dead as a gutted fish. The stallion, Achilles stood in the plaza before the great cathedral of Notre Dame and what was left of the great doors. The horse snorted and gazed all the way up toward the bell towers of her and saw a rain of stone fall around him. Even a stronghold that great was broken within and out. Sure enough, something horrid had befallen the dear soul who ruled those elegant towers.

Notre Dame herself was mourning, with her bells silent forever more. The people had fled the city so quickly that they had left all of their belongings behind. Just then, to the injured stallion's surprise, something had fallen from high from the bell tower. It dropped at Achilles hoof and he lowered down to see that it was a figurine of wood, halfway scratched and flattened. It was a woman in fine clothing, a woman that the horse knew closely. Esmeralda.

Achilles rolled the figure around with his nozzle before picking it up into his mouth. He knew his rider treasured the gypsy with his life and this was news and hope that she was, indeed, all right. Right after that sad moment, he turned his head to the sound of armor coming his way. This time, the Captain had encountered one boy who had helped the missing heir.

"I only...tried to help her, sire.... I did not know she was..."

"Relax." Pheobus had calmed. "Easy.... Just tell me why you helped her."

"I don't know! I wanted her to have a home, I guess.... I found her when I was hiding from two men. They stole my donkey. So...I took her here.... I thought..."

"It's all right. You're in no trouble. But where did you find her? That is all I'm asking."

The poor boy then pointed to the west side of the city, which gave the Captain one clue. That was the direction of the royal city. Versailles.

As soon as he made sure the boy was taken care of by a kind miller family, Pheobus met up with his heavy hearted steed, spotting something in his horse's mouth. Mournfully, Achilles dropped something to the road at his master's feet. Pheobus was crushed to see that it was one of Quasimodo's creations. A wooden carving of a woman, the one woman he was destined to find. Sadly, he looked his horse in the eye and stroked him along his mane.

"Et tu, boy?" the weary Captain sighed. Achilles only whickered lightly.

Holding the figurine tight in his hand, Pheobus drew in a breath. "We have a long ride ahead of us." the soldier said as he hoisted himself onto Achilles.

"To where?" Kristoff asked, coming to him.

"North." Phoebus shrewdly answered, turning Achilles sharply with his reins. "Versailles, Johnathan, is our next destination." he then called when he saw his ward riding up to him.

"The King..."

"Yes, the sooner, the better. Get!" he then made Achilles go into a gallop and Kristoff followed closely through the narrow, Parisian roads. "On the way, we must locate the gypsies." Phoebus continued.

"But, what if the heir..."

"I've been told that she had set foot in Paris! It's crucial that the King should know!" he referring to what he was told.

"But, don't we need men, sir?" John fretted as they rode along the ash filled Seine.

"I'll improvise!" the Captain laughed uneasily. "Just follow my lead."