Reminiscing

A waterfall's song seemed to grow louder and louder as this dark man went forth upon his horse. These woods were deep and unfamiliar, but they had fared well during these passed few days. A scout, was he, in search of the orphan charity that thrived within these woods, or so what he was told. He followed the sound of water right up until his steed came upon a nearly invisible ledge that overlooked the river below. It was quite an impossible feat to cross, to his point of view. But it was nonetheless important to take note of. With great care, the rogue rode along the ledge, memorizing every rock and tree before kicking the beast into a gallop. There were not many paths to follow, but that did not worry him in the slightest.

*

Back at the hidden camp, Quasimodo was just outside the resting tent, keeping vigil as the day wore on naturally. As he observed, he carved; his most passionate hobby through out his childhood. It being the only thing that could relax him. He soon took notice that he had finished and he looked his creation over. Rose happened to be sitting right next to him and she grew curious about the carving in his hand. Seeing her try to gain a better look, he smiled lightly and allowed her to hold it. It was the small carving of a rose bud, done deliberately from memory.

Knowing what it was, the girl smiled, even after her emotional morning. He smiled deeply at her again, allowing her to have a seat on his lap. Earlier she was in no happy mood for an hour since and it was such a sweet thing to see her smile. He worried constantly for her. It hurt him so to see her in pain now. It was as if her hurt was his.

"Are you all right?" he asked her, as if for the tenth time today. She nodded at him, rendering him to give her a kind kiss to her forehead.

Of all they went through for what it seemed for two weeks now, he truly began to realize just how much she meant to him. She was more to him than just a innocent he saved. Now, all he wanted in the world for her was happiness and safety. In truth, he never thought that he would feel this way, but his wish now was that he could always be there for her, to watch her grow, to teach her and to keep telling her how important she was.

The word father came to mind. That word was always on negative terms with him, especially after a betrayal so great that he should have foreseen it. He never truly knew of who a father was, since he always confused it with other nonsense, such as someone who controlled others, telling them what they should think or do. His thoughts then ran to what would he do if he was to lose her in some way, or in any way. The mere thought made him want to cry and his hug around the girl tightened.

Not too far away from them was the blind, who had gone not too far for a drink of water. She was making her shaky way back. Quasimodo heard the strikes of her stick getting closer and closer and gazed at her only to see her with her head low, seeming as though her glazed eyes were glued to the ground. She sat alone against a tree near the tent and didn't seem to know that he was there for a long moment.

"Agatha." came a voice that she did not expect.

At his voice, she went rigid for a second. She thought he was away with the DuBois. Apparently she was wrong.

"Oh. Good afternoon, Quasimodo." she said, hiding her embarrassment.

The solemn hunchback smiled back at her, fiddling with the carving he still held in his hand.

"Good afternoon. I...I was wondering where you might have ... gone to. I had not heard from you since the dawn." he said to the blind with a good hint of concern in his voice, gentle.

Agatha listened and was compelled to smile, but she stubbornly held it back. She usually went off alone to ponder on things. But since she used to be alone every single day for most of her life, she had near forgotten that her fellow travelers would worry. Her act was slightly careless now that she thought about it. On his part, he took notice of her stubborn silence and his heart was filled with unease.