You Are Brave

The sun's ray shot through the great canopies, hitting the great falls, thus making it shine like the evening stars. Even though the dangers were dealt with in this part of the wood; they did not change the lovely splendor it had. A buck and a fawn made their way to the stream, seeing their surroundings safe and sure enough for them to emerge. The young male deer kept his head held high as the tiny fawn took in her fill of water. Eventually, when the buck felt at his most comfortable, he lowered his head to drink with the fawn.

It was unclear if this buck fathered this youngling, but it drew out Esmeralda's attention as she went out to draw water out of the river. She watched how that buck kept such a sharp vigil over the tiny fawn.

With a sharp beat of his cloven hoof, the fawn then dashed back to the trees. Esmeralda then looked behind her and saw someone aim at the buck. Her heart did not let her when she stood up to who was aiming to kill the deer.

"Clopin! Do not!" she stood tall, defiant.

He lowered his arrow and glared at her.

"We have to eat, La Esmeralda, if you do not mind." he cocked a brow at her.

The buck shot away and gave her friend a glare, but she softened as she picked the bucket up again.

"I am sorry, Clopin. I was just thinking...and when I saw those deer... I saw..." she trailed off.

"...you saw what, lass?"

"...nothing." she sighed after much thought.

"Aye. You scared them off for nothing. Do you not realize we have a group of starving waifs." Clopin grouchily mentioned, throwing his bow over his shoulder.

"I am sorry, didn't you hear me, you sarcastic dog you?" she sharpened at him as they walked back to the small camp. He sneered.

Jaq Lavierre, who had kept deeply silent for his own guilt and shame, led on a few of the ponies. A young man still, he was only sixteen and was a learning archor, just like Quasimodo, the man whose trust he altered with that near fatal bad choice, but hurting the young princess. He had walked passed the solemn deformed man as he was tying the line for Fidele more firmly. Quasimodo saw him pass from the corner of his eye before one pony was traveling too close, which had made Quasimodo jerk almost that the knife he kept on his person had fallen off his belt.

Jaq tried to go and pick it up for the hunchback, but the man had gotten hold of it first. Jaq got this look from the man's eye, which told him of a paranoia mixed with perplexity. Even distrust.

"Why....eh...um.... good day." Jaq tried his best to stay calm, but was failing at the task.

"Good day." was the almost dull reply from the hunchback's mouth, which did not sound much like himself. It was the sound of distrust.

Young Jaq, this sixteen year old knew well, after the foolery choice he made. Seeing that the hunchback was undergoing something...something emotionally difficult, he sighed.

"Sire, I am sorry." he struggled to bring forth. "I never meant her harm, you know."

Quasimodo's harsh face seemed to stiffen when he brought that event up again when Rose could easily have been killed. But then he softened slight.

"If you have it in your heart to - "

"How do you know what is in my heart?" the hunchback asked as he tied a noose tighter for Fidele, kneeling down to the grass.

"I want to help you, sir. If you cannot forgive me... I have no where to go." Jaq had resulted to begging.

Quasimodo's brow furrowed deeply before he turned to the younger man, appalled.