Chapter 9: Witches and Fairies

Thank you to everyone reading, it means a lot. Please vote, comment and do everything nice. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Serena's (Ira) POV:

 Today was a bright day and quite warm too. The past few days it had be raining quite heavily. It seemed that the weather was reflecting the mood of the people in the castle. The King and Queen were more stressed and the Prince looked like he was in shock though I have no idea why. I hadn't a clue why the witch was here.

 I hadn't seen her around since the incident in the court room. The King and Queen seemed to be talking to her but they didn't say anything to me. If people were talking about it then it certainly hadn't reached my ears. My days had been very uneventful, it was raining everywhere so I couldn't really do anything.

I was about to suffer the same fate today but I remembered the book that Ice had given when we first met. I had hidden it in my room. I didn't have time to read it at first but eventually I forgot about it. It was something about fairies if I remembered correctly. Suddenly I was very excited for not only would I have something to do but there were so many things I could find.

I felt like I was in a fantasy world. I mean, I am in a fantasy world but still it just seemed so unreal and fabled. I could not begin to fathom the depths of its reality. But hold on a second. Do fairies exist? I had heard of them: little people with wings but I had never seen them or learned about them. This was going to be fun.

I hurried to my room and looked into the secret compartment under my bed. The dark gray book was covered in a thin layer of dust from being abandoned for nine months. I felt so bad, I promised myself that I would look after it. I couldn't change the past anymore but I could make the future better.

That thought made me smile and other thoughts of what was in the book. I wiped the book with the hem of my dress and flipped the front page. Caring for Fairies, it said. I looked at the contents page next. What is a fairy, Bonding, Fairy anatomy, Life cycle of fairies, Fairy behaviour. I was fascinated and immediately garnered an interest in the topic that I would harbour for many years.

I decided to learn the basics first. What is a fairy? The page opened to reveal a chubby little girl with big green eyes. She was wearing a pair of mid-length trousers, a tunic with short sleeves and a pair of pointed boots. She was smiling up at me and had a heap of sweets in her tiny hands. Her most notable feature was her wings which were mechanical and shaped like a swallowtail butterfly's. The bronze metal seemed to be done in pretty shades representing a sunrise.

She looked so innocent and happy but something seemed wrong to me. Why would her wings be mechanical almost as if someone had built it into her. I thought fairies were born with wings. You know, those velvety clear ones. The little fairy seemed to be only but a child, why would someone give her mechanical wings? The thought made me sad.

"Let's not judge too much and read the passage," I said to myself.

Fairies, a group of chosen people who serve their royal leaders as agents of the crown. Originally known as dones, these chosen few must undergo surgery to have built into them mechanical wings that help them better serve their purpose. They are then named fairies. So no, fairies are not a race but a done who has undergone surgery to get their wings.