d a n c e

____________________

Hayden sits with one knee up, his arm resting on it and his other leg crossed beneath him. The pillows that he's on are very comfortable, or maybe they just feel comfortable because he's so tired from dancing. He sits up straight, stretching his back muscles and looking around the room.

It's full of people, not because there's a large crowd, but because his best friend's basement isn't that big. In the corner, a group of girls are playing Just Dance, Eileen and her best friend included. At the far wall, there's a table full of party food and drinks, most of which was already picked through during the early hours of this party. A fuzball table is just to his right, where his best friend and a few other people are playing an intense match.

A few other people are seated with Hayden, each holding a glass of fruit punch - no alcohol, of course; all their parents would kill each and every one of them if they did any illegal crap. But the party is still a good one. Hayden's group of friends always held a spring break party, alternating between who would host it that particular year. It wasn't anything crazy; just a little fun before they all had to work their asses off studying for university exams. He sighs, the thought weighing down on him. Hayden knows the school he needs to get into requires for him to pass an exam with flying colours just to get a full scholarship.

But he pushes the thought aside when he sees Eileen heading over to him, her hair a mess and sweat dotting her forehead. Her eyes are bright though, and she seems to be emitting energy as she plops herself down in front of him.

Hayden smiles at her, raising the cup in his hand and offering her a sip. She gladly accepts and takes a fairly big gulp, clearly exhausted from the dance-off. She hands back the cup and grins at him, excitedly saying that she won.

Hayden congratulates her, then uncrosses his leg, giving space for Eileen to sit. She moves forward as if to sit and lean against his bent knee, which Hayden doesn't mind. They finally went public with their relationship a couple of months ago, when Hayden figured out a simple, yet meaningful way to ask her to be his girlfriend.

"We're back here again?" Eileen asks, a little bit of confusion in her voice. She shivers in the cold of the rink, having only worn a tank top and thin hoodie.

"Yeah," Hayden replies, taking off his sweatshirt and putting it on her shoulders. "Sorry I didn't tell you in advance - I guess I wanted it to be a surprise."