d a t e

____________________

Eileen walks down the stairs, carefully skipping the step where her cat is sleeping. She giggles, noticing that the smoke-coloured animal is sleeping with its tail hanging through the railing; it looks so silly. Or maybe she's just so nervous for tonight that she's looking for any reason to loosen up.

She jumps the last few steps, her bare feet helping her stick her landing and preventing her from slipping on the wooden flooring. She walks through the living room entrance, which is just to the right of the staircase, across the hallway leading to the kitchen.

Her mom sits on one of the couches near the fireplace, a book in hand and reading glasses perched on her nose. The fireplace is lit though Eileen doesn't why, considering the seasons are changing and the temperatures are rising. She doesn't bother to ask and instead, she clears her throat, announcing her presence.

Her mother looks up, then sets the book down when she sees that it's her daughter. She smiles widely, and remarks on how beautiful Eileen looks.

Eileen looks down at the floor, embarrassment overcoming her for some reason. It gives her a chance to look over her outfit, which is simple yet elegant - perfect for her date with Hayden. She's wearing black leggings, her calves covered with creme-coloured leg warmers. She wears a strapless white blouse, with a thick beige cardigan over it. All she carries is her phone and small purse is swung across her body; Hayden said they weren't going anywhere overly fancy so she didn't bother wearing jewelry.

Eileen looks up again, just as her mom continues to talk, saying that her daughter better enjoy her night and that Hayden better take care of her. Eileen smiles at her mom's words, walking over and leaning down for a hug. She assures her mom that she'll be fine and that there's nothing to worry about.

The mother-daughter moment is interrupted when Eileen's dad's voice echoes through the room, reminding her to be home by curfew and not to go anywhere they're not supposed to. Eileen turns to her dad, smiling sweetly and assuring him as well. Her dad compliments her outfit, telling her it's good she covered up and didn't wear anything provocative.

Eileen laughs at the notion and excuses herself, grabbing the socks she left on the couch and slipping them onto her feet. She grabs her moccasins from by the front door, just as someone rings the door bell. She looks back at her parents, who are now standing on the entryway just behind her. They nod, motioning for her to open the door, and she does.

Hayden stands on the front porch wearing a a jacket with a forest green polo shirt underneath. He's wearing jeans as usual though, and running shoes. He smiles at Eileen, taking his hand from behind his back and giving her a small bouquet of flowers. She takes them and returns his smile, saying thank you. She then asks him to come in and he does, his eyes finally moving away from Eileen and traveling to where her parents are standing.

Eileen makes the introductions, and her parents both say the same speech that they'd told her earlier. Hayden takes it more seriously though, nodding and assuring them more certainly than she did. Her parents nod and smile at him, seemingly pleased with their daughter's taste. They finally allow them to leave a few minutes later.