Intervention

Michael's P.O.V

I was left alone on the bus, too lazy to go anywhere. I just wanted to sit, and play some video games. I loved playing, and performing with the boys, but it was a lot to do at times. Playing video games took my mind off things, letting me enter a virtual reality. I popped in an old game I played when I was younger, remembering the times I had when I played.

Ashton, Luke, and a few of the girls went out into the city. I also knew Calum was out with Sam, so I just sat alone, appreciating the quiet time.

I heard a knock, but didn't get up to see who it was, thinking it was probably just the game. I continued playing, until I heard the floorboards creaking. I look up to see Nicola, in sweats, and no make up. I was surprised to see her here, thinking she might've gone with everyone else.

"Hey Mike," she says quietly, seeming anxious for some reason.

I ignored her, pressing play on the game and continuing on. I hear Nicola sigh, sitting down next to me. I couldn't help but not say anything. What could I say? Anytime I was around her, for some reason I became nervous. Don't get me wrong, I like her, I really do. But deep down inside, I felt something, and it made me angry because I couldn't decide whether or not I like that feeling. It's hard to explain, I really don't know how to.

"Oh my gosh," she whispers, "is this Tekken?" She asks excitedly. I pause the game, looking over to her to see her eyes lit up in excitement.

"You know what Tekken is?" I ask, my tone coming off a bit harsh.

"Of course I do! I used to play 3 through 5 all the time! Do you think I could play with you?" She asks, I think for a second, not sure if she would want to lose to me.

But I decided to let her try, "Sure, try and beat me if you can."

I chose arcade mode on the game, hoping to do one quick battle and win. We begin playing, Nicola's hands flying over the buttons on the controller. No matter how I tried, her character always managed to dodge mine. Two measly rounds later, she wins fair and square.

"How did you do that!?" I urged, not believing she could beat me.

"I told you! I used to play this game all the time. It's one of the few games I ever did play," she explained. I throw my controller onto the coffee table in front of me, feeling completely defeated.

"Oh Michael, don't be such a sore loser. You can't be the best at every game," I look up glaring at her as she continues laughing.

But I can't help but smile, as her laughter is contagious and I begin to laugh too, and we end up getting into a fit and she falls over in the seat. Once we both finished, she sits back up, wiping her eyes.

"Why did you come in here?" I ask, now wondering why she did in the first place. She goes back to her anxious mannerisms, looking down at her hands.

"I was hoping we could talk about something. It's been bothering me for a while now," she says. I become worried, wondering what it could be.

"What's wrong?" I ask her.

"Michael, are we friends?"

I furrow my eyebrows together, "What do you mean? Of course we are," I reply.

"I mean..." She trails off again, becoming more nervous as she speaks. "Michael, the night we went out in New York was amazing. I had so much fun with you, and I thought you did too. But, a couple of days after you started being rude to me for no reason. At first I thought it was just you being you, and then we started touring and you continued being that way. More to me than to anyone else, even your own three best friends. I've just become worried, wondering if I did something wrong, or if you hated me for some reason."

I run my hands through my hair, sitting up as I sigh. I had no idea I was making her feel so bad. I felt horrible, especially now that she's explained how long she's been feeling this way.

"Nic," I begin, looking up to meet her sad eyes. I position myself so that I'm looking at her better, resting my arm on the back of the chair.

"I'm so sorry. I really am. I know I can be a major d*ckhead, but it was never my intention to make you feel so bad. I don't hate you, not at all. I did enjoy that night too, it was a lot of fun for me. The truth is..." I look down, feeling the heat rise to my cheeks.

"You're a great person Nic, and a very talented musician. After that night, I knew we could get along just great. Once it passed, I started second guessing myself. It's hard for me to make friends, let alone people like you. Every time we are alone, I can't help but feel...worried I guess. That I'll say something wrong. I don't know what to say, and I feel caught off guard, and I just say whatever comes to mind. So, that means it would usually come off as me being mean. I really am sorry I've made you feel so bad..." I explain. As I look back up, I see the single tear run down her cheek, I wipe it off for her as she smiles.

"Thank you Mike. I really appreciate you telling me the truth. I'm sorry I took this long to say something," I shake my head. "Don't worry, you're all good. What do you say? Truce?" I ask, lending out my hand to shake. She pushes it aside and leans in for a hug.

"Truce."