Chapter 3: Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want

The Smiths — "Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want" (1984)

"see, the life I've had
can make a good man bad
So for once in my life
let me get what I want"

Jonathan Byers 5:00 pm

After my shift ends at work I decide to go to the grocery store to help mom out with a few necessities. I roll the cart around piling the usual's inside. Milk, eggs, cereal, chips. As I'm looking down the aisle for ice cream I notice a familiar face. It was the girl from earlier who applied at the theatre. Kathleen. She must had felt me staring because she turned her head to meet my gaze. She slowly made her way over to me in no hurry.

"What's the best flavor?"

I stuttered for a moment and pointed to the refrigerator when I snapped out of reality and realized she was talking to me. "Rocky road, for sure" She squinted her eyes at me for a moment in consideration and opened the door to grab the carton.

"I'll take your word for it"

As she went to leave I finally grew a pair and called after her with my raspy voice.

"Kathleen!" She slowly turned around with a sly smirk on her face.

"You know my name?" She must think I'm a total stalker. Way to go.

"Call me Kat...Jonathan" A smile grew at the edges of my lips. Who was this girl? How have I not seen her before in this small town.

"Are you busy tonight?"

"Are you asking?" Confusion flooded over me and I thought it was obvious. I nodded putting my hands into my pockets. Standing in this aisle too long was making me shiver.

She smiled "then no, I'm not" A wave of relief washed over me, excitement taking its place.

"Would you want to hang out?"

"Sure pick me up at-"

Kat gave me her address to remember since neither of us had pens or paper. When she left I kept mumbling it to myself so I wouldn't forget. I knew the general area and the street she lived on wasn't too far from my own house so forgetting it wasn't my main worry. I had things more important to stress about now. I hadn't ever gone on a date with anyone, but after meeting Nancy I got more comfortable around girls and I didn't want to waste my time anymore. After almost losing Will, things changed in all of us. What would we do for this so called date? What would I wear? I didn't have any nice clothes. Would we kiss? I never kissed anyone. I wasn't prepared for this and instantly regretted my decision. As I made my way to the back of the line of the cash register I passed by an assortment of flowers. Biting my lip and thinking thoughtfully about the most beautiful ones, I grabbed the violet dahlias and added them to my cart. I wasn't the most experienced in impressing girls, but I knew getting flowers was pretty important.

-

Authors note:

Stranger things just got confirmed for season two omg I'm so happy

Also I'm sorry if these chapters are short and if it takes a while to update, but I'll do my best! I just started college last week and my teachers are hardcore!

Comment, vote, I love you either way.