Chapter 17: You Got It (The Right Stuff)

New Kids On The Block - You Got It (The Right Stuff) (1988)

"First time was a great time

Second time was a blast
Third time I fell in love
Now I hope it lasts" 

Kat Wednesday 7am

The next morning I was released from the hospital. My family packed me, flowers and balloons from friends in our van and drove home.

"Are you going to tell us what happened?" My dad eagerly asked as he drove.

"I had a panic attack, that's all"

"I think your dad wants to know why sweetheart"

"Look, moving is really hard. Adjusting. All of it" of course I never told them about the story I had told Jonathan. My ex Jason made sure it was clear I wouldn't tell anybody ever. But It was too late for that now I guess. Still I didn't want my parents knowing.

"Honey we understand, we are here for you" I hated when my mother used those terms on me, I wasn't a kid anymore, but I knew she was just saying those things because she cared.

"Have you found a job yet?" My dad asked. Of course he would ruin the moment.

"Paul! Give her a break!"

My parents argued back and forth and I eventually tuned them out until we got home. The rest of the day I spent in bed watching old cheesy scary movies with my mom checking in on me every now and then. The phone rang for me plenty of times, once from Jonathan, once from Nancy, and two times from Barry. I didn't talk to any of them, and I wasn't doing it to be harsh, but I was having a really bad day and I needed to be alone. It was nice though, realizing that people may actually give a damn about you.

Jonathan Thursday 7:15 am

As I finished setting up my plan on how to ask Kat to homecoming in the photography room I walked down the hallway and hoped she came to school today. I noticed her at her locker in denim overalls and a white sweater, her hair was pulled up. I grabbed her hand before she had time to open her locker and see whatever note Barry put inside the other day.

"Where are we going" she laughed behind me trying to keep up.

"It's a surprise. Close your eyes" I instructed when we arrived at the door. Mrs Gregory didn't teach a class first period so I knew I wouldn't get caught. Kat put one hand over her eyes and the other clinging onto my arm. I leather inside. "Okay open them" In front of her I had seven pictures of me holding up different sighs saying "will you go to prom with me"

"Will helped me, we went all around Hawkins to get the perfect shots"

Kat admired each one slowly and I nervously tapped my foot. Was she going to reject me? Was she going to say no?

"Yes!"

"Huh?" I woke up out of my daydreaming which was more like a nightmare.

"Yes I'll go with you silly!"

Kat jumped up and wrapped her arms around me with a huge smile on her face. I did the same and we stood there a moment.

"I've never gone to a dance before" I admitted.

"Me either" Kat replied pulling away from the hug to look at me . It shocked me because I got I was the only one, but it made me feel better that we were in this together.

I had also been patiently waiting to ask Kat to go out with me Friday. We never had a real date. Right as she was about to walk out of the room I called out behind her.

"Hey Kat!"

"Yeah?" She turned around looking confused.

"Do you want to, go out with me tomorrow?"

"And do what" she said smirking.

"We can hangout at my house, watch movies, I can make you dinner"

"sure" the bell rang and Kat pointed outside with her thumb the the hustling crowd of teenagers. "I gotta go"