Chapter 24: I Ran

A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran (1982)

"Reached out a hand to touch your face;
You're slowly disappearing from my view;
Reached out a hand to try again;
I'm floating in a beam of light with you;
And I ran, I ran so far away.
I just ran, I ran all night and day.
I couldn't get away."

One week later

Kat 7 pm

It was the night of homecoming and a few things had changed following up to the dance. Ever since the night I got ditched by Johnathan for Nancy, I had been avoiding him at all costs. Whenever he called I hung up, whenever he saw me at school and waved, I walked the opposite direction. He even tried putting an apology note in my locker but I ripped it up and tossed it in the garbage before unfolding it and reading another dumb exscuse he came up with.

After the turn of events that happened, I predicted that I wouldn't go to homecoming at all. I certainly was not going to show up alone, but then Barry asked me a few days ago and I knew it would make Jonathan mad. He deserved to feel the way I did so I found a dress last minute and fixed my hair and makeup waiting for Barry to arrive. Outside I heard a car engine and I stuck out the front door before my mom could harass me with a camera as if I was a celebrity and she was a crazy paparazzi.

Barry stood leaning on his car in a black suit with a red tie that matched my ruffled dress. "You look amazing" He said kissing me on the forehead. I checked him out head to toe "not so bad yourself" I winked. Barry opened the door for me and helped me shove my dress inside without it getting caught in the door. He jogged over to the other side and got in the driver seat.

When we arrived, it had started getting dark outside. The music was muffled until we walked through the doors to the gym. A disco ball hung from the ceiling and lit up the floor. In one corner, there was a line of couples taking pictures behind a green background decorated with trees and lights, in another corner there were card and tossing games. At the back of the room was a refreshment table with things like punch, brownies, mini-sandwhiches and chips. Jump by Van Halen blasted through the speakers and Barry didn't hesiate to grab my hand and lead us over to the dance floor. "I love this song!" Barry yelled. We jumped up and down, spinning each other around in the crowd of teenagers.

After a few more upbeat songs played and we had worn out, I told Barry I would go get us drinks since we were both sweating and out of breath. "I'll find us a spot to sit" Barry replied scouting out tables. As I approached the table I grabbed us two Styrofoam cups and poured the red liquid into them. When I turned around a hand grabbed my arm pulling me to the left. "Kat, please let me explain" Jonathan stood, his hair was gelled back and he had a dark blue suit on. He was alone. His face was basically begging for me to just listen to him and for a moment I wanted to. Just then Jonathan's hand was harshly pushed off of me, causing me to spill a little of the punch. "Look asshole she doesn't wanna talk to you" Barry pulled me into his side and started moving us in motion to walk away. "Did you even tell her!?" Jonathan yelled behind us. Barry huffed out through his mouth and I could tell he was angry. "Tell me what?" "Nothing" Barry quickly replied. I pulled myself out of his grasp looking between the both of them. What was going on?

"The night of the football game when you were wasted, Me and Barry got you and left and took you to a diner to wait until you were a little more sober"

"You and Barry?" I looked at Barry confused and hurt "you told me it was just you"

"He's lying" Jonathan spoke up. "And after that it got even worst"

The whole school had been listening now and among everyone I saw Steve with Carol and Tommy and Nancy in the crowd.

"What happened" I asked setting the punch down on a near by table.

"we should go outside" Jonathan suggested since everyone was listening in.

"No. Tell me right now"

"Barry told everyone you slept together the next day at school, just ask all of the football team" Barry's hands were now fists and he looked like he was about to attack Jonathan any minute.

"You told me we didn't do anything, so what is it?" I stood in front of Barry trying to divert his attention from Jonathan to me. "Did we or did we not"  when Barry's eyes met mine his shoulders fell in embarrassment.

"No, no we didn't"

I bit down on my bottom lip trying not to cry.  How could he do that to me. Everyone in the room was quiet.  A single tear escaping my eye. Yes I was mad at Jonathan for not telling me sooner and yes I was mad at Barry for telling the entire school and lying about what happened. And I was mad at myself for what I had become. For what I was turning into. It was all too familiar. I was just like the girl I was before I moved here. Before the drugs and alcohol. Before my friend got murdered.

I pushed through the doors that lead to outside and heard Jonathan and Barry scream my name behind me. I ran as fast as I could into the forest behind Hawkins high school, sobbing. It seemed like I had been running for miles as I struggled to breathe. I gasped when I ran into a little boy, wait, little girl. Her hair was short and brown and she wore a blue hospital gown. Her nose was bleeding and she looked scared. Her hands were holding onto mine tightly and I noticed a small black tattoo on her wrist that appeared to be a set of numbers.

"011?"
-

-

Sorry this chapter is so fast paced!

New update yay!