Chapter 16: Don't Dream It's Over

Crowded House - "Don't Dream It's Over"

"When the world comes in

They come, they come
To build a wall between us
We know they won't win"

Kat 4 pm

I woke up in a hospital bed feeling really dizzy. The room spun in circles so I closed my eyes.

"Honey?" I recognized that voice. It was my mother.

"Mom?" I stood up from my bed feeling a lot of pressure in my head as I did so.

"Kat just rest"

I pyschically didn't have the strength to reply or keep my eyes open so I sank back into the uncomfortable mattress. I noticed a weird pinch in my arm and knew I had an IV needle in my arm.

"What happened?" I managed to ask.

"You had a panic attack, your friend Jonathan was nice enough to bring you here"

"Jonathan? I need to see him"

"Later, go back to bed"

I would have denied her request because of my stubbornness if it wasn't for my condition, but I couldn't help it, I felt myself become drowsy and fade into darkness.

9pm

I fluttered my eyes open and noticed I was still in the same room. I looked around and noticed Jonathan sitting in a chair next to me.

"You're awake" He stood up and made his way over to my side.

"Jonathan...thank you" He placed his hand over mine.

"Where are my-"

"your parents are down stairs, their eating in the cafeteria, how are you feeling?"

"I'm okay, have you been here all day?" He nodded.

"Barry is here"

"what?"

"Talk spreads quick in a small town"

"Well I don't want to talk to him"

Jonathan chuckled and picked up a tray and set it down in front of me. It had red jello, some vegetable soup in a bowl and a Coca-Cola.

"I didn't know what you liked, your parents said you liked pepsi, but the drinking fountain didn't have any"

"screw hospitals and their unforgivable soda"

I struggled to open the can so Jonathan did it for me. The cold soda ran down my throat, burning of carbonation.

"So now you know" I sipped the hot soup careful not to burn my tongue

"I'm not going to tell anybody Kat. You know that"  I offered Jonathan the jello cup but he put his hand up and set it back down on my plate. "You need it more than me " He smiled.

"So what do you think?"

"That I'm sorry you had to go through that and that I'm here whenever you need or want to talk"

"you're amazing"

"and you're still a little lightheaded"