Interrogation Part 21

At that moment I charged toward my bedroom and leaped into my bed, shoes and all, and pulled the covers up to my neck and waited breathlessly for what was coming.

Whittemore was suspicious despite what mom told him and was going to try to get it out of me. He was smart enough never to trust what a mother said about her son or daughter, knowing that either she'd lie for them or else she was so tricked herself and didn't know enough about her kids' activities, good or bad. But Whittemore knew kids. He was always trying to catch them in a lie and, furthermore, he was good at it. Had Brooks really told him anything or was he just saying that on the hunch that maybe I was listening somewhere like I was where he couldn't see me? I believe he was bluffing because I think Jack was right: Brooksy would do anything to become a Midnight Raider and besides, we gave him a perfect story to make up. Still, master might not be making it up. I heard them climbing the stairs and I slapped myself across my cheeks to make the blood come to the surface to make it look like I was sick. That neat trick fools my mom all the time but Whittemore might not be fooled. The door creaked and I closed my eyes.

"See he is still a'sleepin', poor boy," said mom. "Jeremy dear boy, Jeremy. Master Whittemore is here and would like a word with you son...something about some incident at the school today. I told him you knew nothing about it because of you being sick and all."

Whittemore approached. "Thank you ma'am, I'll be only a minute. If I could just have a word in private," he said closing the door on mom.

"Oh!" said Whittemore. "You do look like a poor ole sick boy," master said. "And your face is flushed. You do have a fever," and he placed his hand on my forehead. "Well, maybe not."

Then he tried to pull the covers off, saying:

"Son you're too warm - you shouldn't have blankets on such a hot day."

"No I want 'm," I said, yanking them to my neck. "I have chills!" I almost yelled.

Mom came to the door. "Is everything all right Mr. Whittemore?"

"Oh yes, Everything's just fine ma'am. I'll be done shortly."

He looked confused like he didn't know what to do or like he just ran into a tree or something. His eyebrows went up and then down as if he was trying to figure it out. His long pointed nose seemed to be smelling me out for lies. I decided to head off his questioning.

"Sir, thank you for checking up on me. I did want to go to school today but I just felt so bad. I hope it won't count against me. I'll try to do extra homework tonight."

I waited to see what effect that would have on that old fox. I couldn't lie half as good as Jack but with his help I was sure learning. Jack was masterful at lying. I never met anyone who could lie as good as Jack. My mom had placed a pitcher of drinking water on the dresser nest to some daisies in a vase to

help me to feel better. But I wasn't going to feel good until Whittemore left.

"May I have some water?" I asked him. "I have a powerful thirst sir."

"Oh, yes, yes of course," said master and he poured it in a glass and gave it to me still seeming confused.

He stared at me as though not knowing what else to say sort of awkward-like or maybe he was just waiting for me to confess. I wasn't sure.

"What happened at the school today sir? Did someone get hurt? I hope not. Sometimes the kids play too rough."

"Oh no, not to worry," Whittemore said. "But I came here because Mr. Brooks said something to me after he told me today that he was sick."

Master paused to see what I might say next, I guessed. His deep beady eyes measured my response looking for some sign of guilt, I felt, and trying to draw the truth out of me through his eyes which seemed to spit fire but I continued to play dumb.