A Disrupted Lesson Part 2

I ran as fast as I could, not wishing for master to catch me skipping school and knocking on his door like I was coming to visit which I couldn't do now anyway because Jack whacked the door so loud as to be heard unmistakably as a rude intrusion on master's lesson and so I had no choice-I scampered away like a cat escaping from a bulldog.

Estimating that I had only a second or two before master spotted me from the schoolhouse doorway where he would soon be standing, I dove head first over the green hedges and rolled on my side down the little hill seeing Jack on his back, laughing his fool head off. I started laughing too but I was annoyed with Jack's having set me up like that and forcing me to run and almost getting me caught."

"Jack Stone!" Master Jerome Whittemore's voice boomed from the little brick schoolhouse with the two chimneys. "I know it's you! Better get in here!"

"Don't say nothin' and don't move!" Jack whispered loudly.

We waited-ten, twenty, thirty seconds.

"Jeremy! I know who it was who put you up to it so you get in here right now and own up or else there'll be hell to pay. I won't beat you! I won't tell your parents if you get in right now!

"Jeremy don't you risk your whole education for that ne're-do-well, that good-for-nothing Jack Stone! You want to graduate next year Jeremy, don't you? If so, you'd better do the smart thing. Don't let that fool Mr. Stone drag you down with him. He's no friend of yours and his father's a drunken bum and you're going to end up just like him if you don't listen to me. I am the master of this schoolhouse and I say come here now Jeremy! Get in here now! Jeremy! ... Jeremy! I know you're there hiding with that big coward! He's so cowardly he's afraid to show his face. Don't you be like that stupid boy Jeremy! Do the right thing and I'll forgive you. I'll even make sure you get an A for all your subjects this week if you'll show me now that you deserve it. Of course you'll have to work hard but an A you'll get, I assure you."

"Say nothin'!" said Jack.

"Jack Stone. You're a stupid, lazy miscreant and you'll be stupid all your life just like your mama-she can't read and you won't be able to do so either."

I could see that Jack was mad and wanted to jump up and go and take a swing at master because he was gritting his teeth at master's shower of abuse, probably hoping Jack would jump up and reveal himself. The whole class could easily hear what master was shouting.

"I think he saw us," I said.

"Don't budge!" Jack said. "He's bluffin'. I saw everythin' and he didn't see neither of us."

"Have it your way Jeremy," said Master, and he slammed the door causing a tremendous bang.