The Visitor Part 20

At four o'clock that day I heard the knock on the door I'd been fearing all afternoon. I waited on my belly at the top of the stairs with my head near the top floor tread from where I was able to peek at the front door where my mom was greeting Mr. Whittemore.

I had gotten home almost an hour ago and had sneaked through my window after climbing onto the porch roof and into my room acting like I'd been there, sick, all afternoon. I listened, my ears straining to hear any of the conversation.

"Good afternoon Mrs. Foster. Sorry to intrude but there was an incident today involving some malicious damage to the school and there is some evidence that, unfortunately, Jeremy may have been involved."

"But no Mr. Whittemore, he couldn't have been involved because he was home all day up in his room sick, I checked on him several times and he never left his room sir. He's been coughing and has a fever."

"Oh, I see," said Mr. Whittemore. "I apologize. It's just that I had information from one of my students - he was pretty certain. Do you mind if I just have a word with him?"

"Well, I know he's sleeping because I just came down from his bedroom and his father will be home soon and...well...if his father found out he was suspected even of something like that he'd beat him just in case. His father's a severe man and so I have to hide a lot from him."

"I understand Mrs. Foster. I'll only be one minute. I'd so much it rather be me than the constable. It's a criminal matter and I'd like to spare the boy any unnecessary questions."

"A criminal matter you say? Oh heavens. Well okay then, a minute shouldn't hurt none," my mother said. "I'll take you straight up."