Leaving Home Part 48

We hurried down off the ladder onto the docks and let the dock hand know we were to help him. The tall, muscular sailor cast a quick glance up at the captain who nodded his assent.

"Tie these here like this and up they go," the mate said.

After we loaded bales of cotton, tobacco and hemp we had to start loading the various stores - vegetables for the first two weeks, fruit, rice, wheat, dried beef, and water. The captain had a rule - no consumption of alcohol until we reached the islands. We didn't know specifically where but the mate said Cuba "more'n likely." We walked home along Meetinghouse Road hoping not to encounter Master Whittemore who may begin to ask questions that we didn't want to answer yet.

It was strange walking home through winding dirt streets you've called home most of your life and never paying too much attention to. But right now they were already looking like old friends. I was having second thoughts. I wanted to go but part of me wanted to remain. I was afraid. I didn't want to grow up that fast. I guess that's how it always goes. Nothing's ever quite as agreeable as you hoped. Jack ran home and told me to meet him at the ship in three hours - eight o'clock. I left my family my note on the red kitchen table with the blue-glass vase of flowers. It simply said:

"Good-bye Ma and Pa. Jack and I are going to sea on a merchant ship. Don't worry. I'll be back in six months or earlier. Master Whittemore will be with us but doesn't know we're coming yet. It's a surprise. He already signed up. So we'll still get our education. Oh, Jack and me will take good care of each other. Love, Jeremy.