Jack Takes the Podium Part 40

The next Monday we eagerly anticipated presenting Jack's project to the class.

"So Mr. Stone, are you ready to make what we all hope to be an impressive display of your knowledge on the subject of the necessity of slavery – which was your topic, correct sir?

"Well, yes master, sir. It definitely is about slavery 'though it has a little different twist than what you told us sir, about the darkies and all and how their sufferin' is so necessary to the 'vancement' sir of the white race and all. Hope you 'ppreciate it sir and give me extra credit and all and a good overall grade because I did a lotta work to find out this story and take notes on what I learned. So kiddies," Jack told the class, "hear us good. Um, Mr. Whittemore sir, seein' my good friend here, Jeremy, is better at readin' than me, would you be so kind sir as to let him read my paper for me? Is that okay sir?"

"Oh, no problem," said master. "It's so good to see my students get along so well together and doing what I taught them - that is, putting their heads together to do a fine project."

"Great!" said Jack. "Okay kiddie," Jack said to me, "let's blow this one out of the water!"

Jack had brought a sheaf of papers to the front of the room and told the class that I would read the story of John, a runaway slave who, Jack said, was now safe somewhere up north or in England where he was telling people about the evils of slavery.

Jack eyed Master Whitemore who suddenly grimaced - his eyebrows furrowing again as when he gets deeply agitated - as Jack had the attention of every one of the twelve girls and boys.

"What Jeremy here is a'gonna to read to you was written down by John Andrew Jackson with the help of some white folk who want his message heard by every child in America. So listen good and hear what this escaped slave is a'sayin' about freedom and how bad his life was at the plantation."

Master had the sourest look on his face any of us had ever seen. I cleared my throat again, then picked up the sheaf of pages that were Jack's notes that he copied from Jackson's diary.