The Transfer Student: Chapter Eight

Song:  Clumsy-Our Lady Peace

That morning Adrian stood outside my door until I came out, scaring me to death so that I nearly punched him in the face.

He opened his mouth, but then took a closer look at me and promptly closed it.

Frowning, I looked down.

Oh, that's why.

I actually tried today, mainly because I was tired of hearing Whitney's complaints about my fashion choices. This is coming from the girl who wears nothing but Avenged Sevenfold t-shirts, skinnies, and converse with flame laces...and with her blond curls she looks like a china doll even so.

So as soon as I woke up I had gone straight to my closet to try and choose something pretty. I was wearing a dark gray blouse with cap sleeves and buttons all the way down the front, it was decorated with light gray roses and had a vintage feel about it. With black toms shoes I had paired a black cotton skirt that twirled when I moved and had a band that flattered my small waist. I also wore my scrimshaw rose necklace and pearl earrings.

To be honest I thought it was way to much work to dress nicely just to go to school, but that was just me.

Adrian smiled, a little tentatively, as if afraid I would completely ignore his existence if he commented, "you look like a doll, Bella...very, pretty." He hid his eyes beneath his long lashes and stepped back to let me by.

"I look like a what?" His approval of my appearance made me ridiculously happy, even though I told myself that I really shouldn't care what he thought of me.

What was I going to do? My stomach was doing back-flips just being near him. My face fell as I passed him.

No.

I will not let him know how I feel, because there is no denying it anymore, not even to myself. I liked him, a lot, and not just for his looks. His looks were what caught my attention, his snarky, rude, funny, and at moments very sweet personality was what held it. When his black bangs swept across his forehead in the wind and his big blue eyes would catch mine, mischief sparkling in their depths, and something else...something I could not place.

My eyes teared up, I knew he followed me and fought to keep my breathing level. I should've stayed in jeans and a hoodie...for my own good. I would have to keep avoiding him...he was not mine, would never be mine, it was just not meant to be.

Besides, even if it was, I did not trust myself. I did not think I had regained the ability to love someone romantically, my cracked and bleeding heart was barely starting to heal...it still needed time to learn patience with someone, to learn to laugh when times were hard, to love someone in the true sense of the word.

Somewhere inside me a little voice whispered that maybe what I needed to heal was Adrian. But I ignored it.