thirty-three

A S H T O N
Evie glared at both Calum and Luke as I wrapped my arms tighter around her. Luke's jaw clenched as Evie stepped away from me, my arms dropping to my side.

Calum came towards us, his eyes bloodshot and red. Evie tilted her head then turned to Luke accusingly.

"What the hell has he taken?" Evie yelled.

"Evie, shush. Paparazzi will be everywhere." Luke informed Evie.

Evie rolled her eyes and turned towards her brother. "What have you taken Calum?"

"None of our fucking business." Calum grunted. "Now move out the fucking way so I can go punch someone."

"No!" Evie cried. "I don't get what he has done to you to make you hate him so much!"

"Evie!" Calum yelled. "Move out the way before I make you move out the way!"

Evie scoffed. "You wouldn't dare."

Calum's fists went into a ball and a slap was heard. Evie fell to the floor and gasped, holding her cheek. Calum stared straight ahead at me, no emotion.

Evie began to sob as I rushed to her side. I picked her up in my arms bridal style as Calum glared at me.

"Your a fucking sick bastard." I spat at him, reminding me of the last time he hit Evie.

Luke wouldn't make eye contact as I walked past him. I hauled a taxi and put Evie on the floor as we sat in the back seat. She sobbed and stared out the window as my apartment came into view. We make our way up and I unlock my door.

Evie slowly walks in and takes off her shoes. She turns to me, a crimson mark on her cheek and her eyes swollen and patchy. "Thanks for this." She whispers.

I step towards her as my door shuts. I take her into my arms as she wraps hers around me and begins sobbing again. "It's ok." I reassure her.

"Promise you won't do anything." She glances up at me.

I look into her eyes. I was going to send her to bed and go and give Calum what he deserved. But for some reason I can't bring myself to go against her will.

"I promise."

She reaches up and connects our lips together. We kiss softly and gently, as though we were China figurines about to smash into a million pieces. She pulls back and smiles at me.

"I'm hungry." Evie shrugs.

I roll my eyes and step away from her warmth, grabbing the phone and ringing the pizzeria. Evie wraps her arms around me from behind and snuggles her nose into the crook of my neck. As I put the phone down I turn around to face her.

"What about Luke?" I ask. 

Evie sighs and steps away from me slightly. "Who cares about him? He slept with another girl."

I nod, understanding. "The bands fucked anyway."

Evie gasps and look up at me. She opens her mouth to say something when the door bell rings. She quickly rushes into the living room and sits on the sofa as I get the door. Her head is down, her hair attempting to cover whatever her brother did to her. And part of me wants to o against her wishes.

And unfortunately that part wins.