1.0

IT HAD taken a lot of convincing, and admittedly some begging, before Freya finally got what she wanted

IT HAD taken a lot of convincing, and admittedly some begging, before Freya finally got what she wanted. After an incident with a guard, Harley's group privileges were revoked for two weeks. Having felt strange being separated from the woman who was usually attached at her hip, Freya pleaded for Rick to get her in to see Harley. As it turned out, he did her one better. And that's how Freya found herself sitting cross-legged on the end of Harley's bed inside of her cage, with said woman grinning at her.

"How's the gang?" She chirped, her brightly colored hair up in two matching buns, as opposed to her usual pig-tails.

"They're good. Zoe won some big award in school for an essay. Floyd's really proud." Freya said with a smile. Harley hummed in pleasant surprise as she got up, standing in front of her espresso machine.

"And what about you? How're you doin', sweetcheeks?" Harley asked, throwing a wicked grin over her shoulder. Freya rolled her eyes fondly, laughing softly.

"I'm good. You know, the anniversary of Maya's death is coming up, but, Rick said they'll let me out to see her grave." Freya explained, and Harley nodded quietly, the sound of the espresso machine filling her cup echoing through the room. Suddenly, a loud, almost deafening explosion boomed through the room. One of the walls had blown apart, and people in soldiers uniforms began to flood in, shooting down guards. The lock to the outer cage was cut, and a cutter was used to open the cell. Freya stood, standing protectively in front of Harley, as one of the strange soldiers stepped into the cell. He slowly reached up, pulling the goggles and face mask off, revealing the Joker himself. Freya's blood ran cold as Harley's mouth dropped open.

"Puddin'!" She cried, pushing by Freya and throwing her arms around the supposed love of her life.

"Let's go, baby." Joker said, intent to pull Harley away. She frowned, pausing to look back at Freya.

"Can we bring my friend?" Harley asked softly, which only made Joker scowl at Freya.

"It's too risky." He said firmly. Harley hummed quietly, looking troubled. She took a step back towards Freya, but Joker latched onto her wrist dangerously tight. Something flipped inside of Freya, watching Harley wince, and she growled lowly.

"Let go of her." The Joker tilted his head, narrowing his eyes dangerously. Instead of backing down, however, Freya stepped forward. "I said, let go." The Joker smiled maniacally, and Freya barely heard Harley's horrified cries over the sound of his terrifying laughter.

The combat knife was swiftly pulled from Freya's stomach, and she clutched the wound in shock. Slowly looking up, Freya saw the pained look in Harley's eyes as Joker dragged her away. She collapsed to the ground, her hands dropping to the cold concrete floor. Blood pooled around her as she faintly heard the cries of her name, and the sound of feet pounding as they rushed towards her.

–•–•–

They knew something was wrong. As soon as the floor shook with the rumbles of an explosion, everything kicked into overdrive for them. Waylon saw red as a new primal instinct took over; one that felt the unceasing need to protect. This fueled his strength as he forcefully pried open the bars covering the sewer grate in the ceiling of his cell. As Waylon attempted to crawl out, a hand stuck itself into his vision. Rick helped Waylon up, and Floyd yelled from his cell.

"Flag, what the hell's going on?" Before he could reply, everyone's blood ran cold as the sound of an agonized cry echoed down the hallway.

"Freya!" Anyone could easily identify the voice as Harley. Without another thought, Rick and Waylon sprinted towards the room they both knew held the Queen of Gotham. Throwing open the doors, Harley was gone, but the bleeding form of Freya in the broken cell was left behind. Waylon snarled but neither man wasted time in running to her.

"Freya, hang in there. You're gonna be okay." Rick reassured the woman who was fading in and out of consciousness. "We need medical here, now." Rick almost screamed into his radio to the other guards. He looked to Waylon. "I know you want to be here right now, Croc, but I need you to go tell the others. Tell them that Harley is gone and Freya is injured. Tell them to expect the Squad to be put in action soon." In hindsight, the prisoners probably weren't supposed to know that Harley Quinn had escaped, but Rick wasn't thinking properly.

"Not Harley," Freya gasped out, blood splattering across her lips. "Joker." She coughed, the blood bubbling up and running from the corner of her mouth. Waylon hesitated a second, before realizing that arguing wasn't going to get him anywhere. Turning, and running back the way he came, medical personnel ran by him, glancing at him in shock as he sprinted by.

"Croc, man, what's going on?" Floyd yelled again, Digger and Chato joining in.

"Freya. She was stabbed." Waylon informed them. The sound of Digger angrily punching the inside of his cell door rang out.

"Who's the bastard? I'll kill 'em." Digger growled out, and Waylon suppressed a growl of his own.

"Joker. And he's got Harley."