Papers vs. Permission

Officer Flare was in shock.

"You.... You want to take in a hybrid?"

Jin exhaled and finally looked up, eyes filled with a certain fear and doubt of rejection.

"I want to make him feel like he belongs somewhere."

Officer Blart jumped in quickly.

"He's not a pet you know. You'll have to treat him like-"

"He's like a son to me."

Blart froze and Jin made his case.

"I know you're afraid of my decision being based on pity..... But I assure you that's not the case. That boy has been in my care for nearly a full year, I have done so many things for him that his parents never did... I read to him, I fed him- Hell, I am the one who taught him how to tie his shoes without help! To help him sleep without a night light!..... I have done so much for him and have gotten so much joy in return... I'm not just jumping into this, I know how to parent a child. I know that he could be that happy child that's been locked away... I just need the chance to give him that safe environment he's always needed and the love he utmost deserves."

Flare looked over to Blart who was slightly misty eyed. After rolling her eyes she gave an assuring hand to Jin's shoulder.

"You're a very good man and I can see how much you love this child.... If the parents are proven guilty, you can permanently add him to your family. For now, I am glad to say.... He is in your custody temporarily until then."

Jin gave a look of confusion after his brief happiness.

"Wait, so easily?"

She gave a sharp nod as Blart, wiping a stray tear, explained.

"By laws and popular belief, Sam? He is still considered only 2/5 of a regular human and 3/5 an average pet. Therefore, adopting a hybrid has the same legal technicalities of getting a pet. There's a fee and just a few things that need to be signed. Since his parents are in questionable conditions they won't need to approve anything. Even if they were, sadly it would be a lengthy process for them. So I will have the documents faxed over immediately and all you have to do is have your family and new addition sign everything."

Jin inquired.

"And the fee-?"

"Nonsense, I've got it."

Both Jin and Blart looked at Flare with a mixture of shock, awe, and confusion.

"What? It's not that bad, especially if it's for such a nice young boy... and such a great man."

Jin shared a smile with her and suddenly his face fell. He was almost disgusted with himself that he'd done this all without considering the biggest factor of all. Flare looked closely at him.

"What's wrong?"

".... What if Sam doesn't want this?"

Silence filled the room and yet for Jin there could never be a more deafening noise as his thoughts came through.

'What will he think of me if I took the only family he'd ever known?'