Redeeming a Favor

Sam was required to stay in the hospital for a month. The nurses and cops would try, but Sam wouldn't let a word out. At least, not without Jin.

It got to a point where he wouldn't talk without him, ever. When asked, he told Jin he was afraid his mother could somehow appear. Similar to a monster from a story. Whenever Sam mentioned registering poor treatment was carefully handled. Everything was recorded to date and reported immediately. Jin, while closely working with the police, made as much time as he could for Sam. It was an odd situation for Jin. He could only imagine how Sam felt. Jin recognized the boy was strong, but he questioned how much of it was real. Regardless, he was becoming more concerned with his suddenly growing family tree. The addition of Sam was exciting, but the reality was settling in. Remembering how JJ began to act, temper wise, proved to trouble him. However, every time Jin's eyes fall upon the soundly sleeping boy the worry melted away, he'd remember why he was doing what he was doing. He was attached to him. He wanted Sam to heal and live like any other child his age. 

Throughout the month at least three notable events happened. At one point, Sam's stitches burst in his sleep. It wasn't as severe as anticipated. He was still moved to the Intensive Care Unit for safety purposes, though. The second event had Sam disclose information about an earlier babysitter. He, however, resigned suddenly after approaching Sam's mother out of concern. The final incident was a nightmare induced fit of screams, pleading for someone not to hurt him. Jin had had a difficult time during that month. The fear, the lead, the anger. It all made him confused and almost panicky. He had to be strong, though. Not only for Sam but himself. The idea of all the trouble that would come his way slowly began to deter him from adopting. Having solid evidence was pressing on him. The berating cops weren't helping much, either. The only thing that was making everything easier to swallow was his family. Cordelia was often bringing him snacks and drinks, always with a word of confidence. Their son's ecstatic behavior in labeling what toy was who's. Sam's short moments of calmness. The ability to see Sam as his son. Everything about that pulled him back to the grind.

The connections were delivered to the biological parents, Mr. & Mrs. Gladiator, of course. Cassandra was uptight, even tried buying out the cops, nurses, even Cordelia. It disgusted Jin that all she cared about was herself. He was thrilled to take this to court and keep same away from such a toxic woman. She said she'd have the best lawyer, have Jin lose his job, and his name slurred. He bit his tongue that day. Being the bigger man, he simply walked away from the waiting room she came in.

Today, Sam is well enough to walk around with his favorite new nurse to see Jin, Cordelia, and JJ. It's just another five days until he can live with the Bop family... Another month until the trial. Regardless, Sam went to them with a large smile. JJ carried more toys. He brought Sam the ones that were going to be his. The two had gotten very close, practically brothers. Sam was glowing as he saw HIS family, happily waiting for him in the empty hospital rec room. JJ was sitting patiently on a pastel red plastic chair, laying out an array of toys. Jin was looking dazed out a window. Cordelia was straightening her flowy blouse, almost nervous. It wasn't like she'd never met him, but this would be her first time talking to Sam as a son. She didn't know how to act, even though she was already a mother. It was different somehow, but all the same, too. She came to greet him first as he walked hand-in-hand with his nurse. 

Her hair was jet black, her eyes a honey brown, and her skin a flawless tan. She was holding his hand, giggling at the boy. As they came close she watched him walk ahead and stand in front of Cordelia. Their eyes met and she smiled brightly. Cordelia lowered herself to Sam's level, mimicking his wide grin.

"Hi, Mrs. Cord. You look especially pretty today, where are you gonna go?"

Cordelia looked at herself, flattered by the compliment. She waved him off a bit.

"Oh, thank you, Sam. I'm just here to see you. We all are."

Sam's smile just kept getting bigger. Blushing at the special feeling he was getting, he hugged Cordelia. The nurse finally made her way to the pair. Her voice was cheerful and gentle.

"Hi, you must be 'Cordy'."

As Cordelia nodded she let go of Sam and stood up. She readily put her hand out to shake her hand.

"Yes, Cordelia Bop. You must be his new nurse."

She takes Cordelia's hand and nods happily.

"Call me Aph, it's easier to say. Sam talks about you guys a lot."

Cordelia looks over to Sam who had already moved onto JJ. She watches them, still talking to the nurse.

"All good things I hope."

Nurse Aph lets out a slight laugh.

"Of course. He absolutely loves you all. He thinks JJ is a cool big bro... He says he can't wait to be a Bop, you know?"

Cordelia is relieved to hear this. The nurse then bites her lip, her attitude seeming to completely change.

"Can I talk to your husband for a moment?"

Cordelia raises a brow, but nods and gets him for her. The nurse take him a little bit away from everyone else. Jin is very serious.

"What happened?"

The nurse looks around the hall to make sure they're alone. Her voice is reverted to a worried whisper.

"That woman you told me to look out for came by like three times. She started yelling at Sam from the hallway. He was terrified, but then I saw something so... Just thinking about it."

Jin was hanging on each word, nodding at her for her to go on.

"She... She paid off everyone at the front desk. She even tried me and ever since I declined... I might be paranoid, but I feel like I'm being watched."

Jin looked grim as he pulled out his phone. He spoke to her as he dialed.

"Don't worry, I'll call in a favor. I have a friend who's a cop, he owes me and needs a place to stay. You think you can manage?"

The nurse was taken aback.

"I.... I mean, I'd feel a little more secure, but I couldn't ask you to-"

Jin held up his hand.

"It's not a handout. You help him, he'll help you."

The nurse nodded, thanking him before going back to chat up his wife to lower suspicion. A click in Jin's ear and an old accented voice echoes.

"Hellos?"

Jin smirked before replying.

"Hello, Barney."

Jin could feel the hybrid grin over the phone.

"Jiiiins~ Comes to get your favors yet?"

Jin looked out the window at the blue sky and bright sun.

"And I got you a place to stay."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did it!

I feel like the writing style is off, but such is life!

I'm not a hundred percent, but I had the itch to write some more serious stuff.

Meaning as long as I don't crash, I AM MAKING THE BEST TRIAL CASE EVER!

But, I wanna know if you guys want the in between chapters of Sam adjusting to the Bops or just subtle regards to it in the trial, memories, or just generally throughout the rest of the story?

Anyway, goodnight Readers.

Over and Out